Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Making the most of Mallaig

Samantha_GrantSamantha_Grant VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
hello all

I'll be heading to Mallaig in July for a long weekend. We'll be visiting the beach at Morar but does anyone have any other not to be missed recommendations for the area? Good walks, places to eat, wildlife spotting etc?

I'd love to hear your hints and tips. 

Thanks

Sam
I'm a Scottish travel blogger and freelance writer with an extensive knowledge of travelling in Scotland.  I'm always on the road exploring my wonderful country.  I love remote places, history and the great outdoors. 

Comments

• VisitScotlandIntroVisitScotlandIntro Administrator
    You could give the Mallaig Circuit Walk a go, or pop down to the Heritage Centre by the railway station.

It's been a while since I was there, but from what I remember just back from the harbour near the visitor centre there are a couple of cafes and pubs too. 
  • Samantha_GrantSamantha_Grant VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks @VisitScotlandDave I'll check out the walk and Heritage Centre. We're staying in a wee inn a friend recommended as it dog friendly. Really looking forward to it. 
    I'm a Scottish travel blogger and freelance writer with an extensive knowledge of travelling in Scotland.  I'm always on the road exploring my wonderful country.  I love remote places, history and the great outdoors. 

• DMWScotlandDMWScotland VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭
    Hi @Samantha_Grant, Camusdarach beach is beautiful too. It's just down the road (B8008) from Morar. There's a small car park just off the road and you can walk down to the beaches with views across to Skye and the Small Isles. Camusdarach and the area was a filming location for the movie Local Hero :). I love that area!
    I blog about places I've explored in Scotland on Love Exploring Scotland  <3
    Follow me on FacebookTwitterInstagramVimeo or YouTube :)
    @DMWScotland Thank you. I'll check it out. Funnily enough I watched Local Hero again a couple of weeks ago. The beach scenes are stunning. We're off to Pennan later in the year so will see the iconic phonebox too.

• TheChaoticScotTheChaoticScot VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭
    Hi Sam,

If seafood is your thing, you have to pop into the Tea Garden in Mallaig for a pint of prawns  :) 

Also, every time I've been in Mallaig harbour, I've spotted a cheeky seal so keep yours eyes open.

Enjoy!

Kay

Follow my adventures on Facebook / Twitter / Instagram 

Have a wee nosey at my blog  

Former tour guide and current blether. Edinburgh girl whose <3 is in the Scottish Islands. Talk to me about scenic walks, photography, places to eat, public transport, exciting adventures and history  :)
    @TheChaoticScot I'm trying to cultivate a love of seafood but it's just not happening. I feel I'm missing out. Hubby loves it. I love seals so will be keeping a close eye on the water. Thank you. 

Sam

• TheChaoticScotTheChaoticScot VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭
    It took me a while to come round to it too
    @Samantha_Grant - "it's just too fishy" was my standard war cry! I'm trying to convert my other half, and he did manage a mussel and a scallop on our recent trip. He still didn't like it though! ha ha  :D
    Follow my adventures on Facebook / Twitter / Instagram 

Have a wee nosey at my blog  

Former tour guide and current blether. Edinburgh girl whose <3 is in the Scottish Islands. Talk to me about scenic walks, photography, places to eat, public transport, exciting adventures and history  :)
  • travelswithakilttravelswithakilt VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭
    Second the Camusdarach recommendation, beautiful spot. Arisaig is one of my favourite little west coast villages too down the road.
    Scotland travel blogger and writer with a wee bit of photography and video thrown in. Love nothing more than exploring my home country and have a particular leaning towards the outdoors, history and our national drink.

You can also find me on Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, Facebook and Tumblr.
    We have big plans for Mallaig now - since the Met Office are predicting a July heatwave I'm going to teach Casper the Westie to swim at Morar. Watch this space.

edited July 2016
    Loved Tea Garden but didn't opt for anything fishy. @thechaoticscot They were really dog friendly. 

Enjoyed a lovely walk at Camusdarach beach yesterday afternoon. I love Local Hero.  we stopped by Arisaig a couple of times. Gorgeous little village. Had a really good lunch at the Arisaig Hotel bar which welcomes dogs. @dmwscotland ;@travelswithakilt

Sadly the weather I'd been hoping for above didn't materialise but it was still a great trip. The Wee White Dug dipped his toes in the sea at the Silver Sands of Morar

Other things to do in Mallaig:

Western Isles Cruises - very reasonable priced trips to Knoydart, the Small Isles and wildlife spotting.

Trainspotting! - Spot the Hogwarts Express aka The Jacobite as it arrives in Mallaig. 

Swim - visit the local pool if rain curtails your outdoor activities.

Eat - for a small town Mallaig punches well above its weight when it comes to decent places to eat.  There are lots of them. 

• DMWScotlandDMWScotland VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭
    That's a shame about the weather @Samantha_Grant. I love all the different coved beaches at Camusdarach and it's usually pretty empty :). I've enjoyed a few stunning sunsets there.

The next time I'm in that area I'd love to explore the Small Isles. We also visited the pool in Mallaig with my children on a rainy day. They loved it and also the fish and chips after lol.

I look forward to your blog about your trip :)
    I blog about places I've explored in Scotland on Love Exploring Scotland  <3
    Follow me on FacebookTwitterInstagramVimeo or YouTube :)
  • LaineyfaefifeLaineyfaefife Member ✭✭
    next time we're in the area we're hoping to go for a ride along one of the beaches - there's a new trekking centre opened up and I follow them on facebook - so envious of all the happy folk I see in their photos!  Combining two of my favourite things - horses and Morar - is just way too tempting!
  • FishjaggerFishjagger Member ✭✭
    Western isles cruises is a fab wee local community boat that takes you over to Knoydart - amazing place and well worth the visit!