Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Weather on the west coast

We'll be arriving in Scotland in a week with plans to explore the Highlands, the Inner Hebrides and Orkney (primarily).

I'm always leery of looking at weather forecasts this far in advance but I'm seeing 50-60% chance of rain pretty much every day for every city I select from Oban to Kirkwall.

What is the usual pattern in that part of Scotland?  Should we expect steady rain? Off and on? A quick downpour then gone? 

Comments

• fishyprofishypro Member ✭✭✭
    Hi @losthiker , it sounds like a great trip that you have planned. The weather in Scotland is not as bad as some people make it out to be. We have had a dry patch recently with only a few mms over the past 6 weeks. You could expect some rain but it very rarely hangs around. It usually does come & go. Just remember to have a light waterproof jacket with you.
    Best regards
    fishypro
  • HorizonsHorizons VisitScotland Contributor ✭✭✭
    @losthiker I choose b) off and on. But seriously, @fishypro is right, have had such good weather recently, I've not heard the D-word mentioned in a while (dreich). A light waterproof jacket *with a hood* is your weapon of choice, can get windy.
    We're a globetrotting travel blogger couple. Find us on Facebook | Instagram

Best of Scotland in 1 Week

See Scotland with us (incl: SkyeMullArranOrkneyLoch Lomond, Islay, Oban)
  • HorizonsHorizons VisitScotland Contributor ✭✭✭
    @fishypro Spoke too soon about the weather, didn't we. The streets of Edinburgh were resembling Highland streams :wink: Hope it fixes itself quick.
    We're a globetrotting travel blogger couple. Find us on Facebook | Instagram

Best of Scotland in 1 Week

See Scotland with us (incl: SkyeMullArranOrkneyLoch Lomond, Islay, Oban)
  • Finnish_fr1endFinnish_fr1end Member
    Ha! We'll be comind soon to Fort William, rain and drizzle is on the forecast -> will take sadetakki =raincoat (with hood). I'm looking forward to maybe finding and purchasing a waxed cotton jacket! :)