Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Going to Nairn & Bonnyrigg -3 nights each June/July. Suggestions on must see places/castles...

We will have a car and loves castles. 
Tagged:

Best Answers

• VisitScotlandMurielVisitScotlandMuriel Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Accepted Answer
    There are 2 castles near Nairn namely Cawdor Castle and Brodie Castle. Other places of interest you can visit are Fort George, Dallas Dhu distillery and Benromach Distillery. You will also be near Inverness and Loch Ness and Aberdeenshire Castle Trail
    In Bonnyrigg, you are near Rosslyn Chapel and Crichton Castle. Gilmerton Cove is an unusual place to visit on the edge of Edinburgh and of course you could come into Edinburgh with all its attractions, especially Edinburgh Castle and the Palace of Holyroodhouse if it's castles you want to see. I would recommend leaving your car in a Park and Ride (Straiton Park and Ride) and taking the bus into town. Have a lovely time in Scotland!!
  • HorizonsHorizons VisitScotland Contributor ✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    Consider visiting Floors castle & Abbotsford House near Kelso in the Scottish Borders, they're "new" castles but fascinating spots, the latter being home to Walter Scott. Plus the Borders are very pretty.

Nairn isn't too far from Speyside. Though its not a castle, I highly recommend visiting the Packhorse bridge near the Bridgend of Glenlivet, one of the single most beautiful spots for me in Scotland.

• Samantha_GrantSamantha_Grant VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 1 Accepted Answer
    @JKirchhoefer My hubby is a Nairn Highlander so it's a place close to my heart.  You'll find Duffus Castle not too far from Nairn, that's definitely worth a visit. Although not a castle the dramatic ruins of Elgin Cathedral are not to be missed.  Urquhart Castle on Loch Ness is easy to reach from Nairn too and if you're lucky you might even spot Nessie. There's also Lochindorb Castle on Dava Moor, once home to the notorious Wolf of Badenoch. Don't miss Culloden Battlefield and Clava Cairns too.

The Lothians have lots to offer castle lovers.  Craigmillar Castle in Edinburgh is a well preserved medieval ruin
    with links to Mary Queen of Scots. If you visit East Lothian you can take in Hailes, Tantallon and Dirleton castles, all wonderful. 

If you visit the Borders Smailholm Tower and Hermitage Castle should be on your list. 

You'll find lots of castles and ruins on my Scottish travel blog as I'm a die hard history geek.  :) http://theweewhitedug.com/

happy castle hunting. 

Answers

• JKirchhoeferJKirchhoefer Member
    Thank you for all the suggestions - this will give us a lot to look into!