Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Highlands Loop

Hi all,
I'm so excited to be going to Scotland for the first time this July! I'll be renting a car in Edinburgh and traveling for about 12 days. My itinerary is as follows: Inverness (one night), Ullapool (one night), Poolewe (one night), Isle of Skye- Portree (four nights), Isle of Iona (two nights,) Oban (two nights,) Fort William (one night,) and then back to Edinburgh. Any suggestions for stops along the way, must-see places or sites, great walks or hikes, things I should know about driving (especially since I'm an American!) or any other planning tips would be greatly appreciated. I've got all of my hotels/AirBnBs/hostels booked, so I'm set on that front. Thank you!

Comments

• fishyprofishypro Member ✭✭✭
    Hi @abarker324 , just a small thing, please make sure that you have a travel insurance as AirB&B doesn't cover you for much (or nothing). I have had problems with them in the past. I personally never use AirB&B anymore, stick to contacting the B&Bs directly in the future for better prices, terms & conditions etc.
    Best regards
    fishypro
  • HorizonsHorizons VisitScotland Contributor ✭✭✭
    Hello @abarker324 I can spend a day telling you about must-see things to do in your itinerary!! All links in this comment go to my recommendations. 4 nights on Skye is excellent but if you can squeeze a day trip to Harris, I promise you it will be worth it (drive to Uig, ferry to Tarbert, drive to Luskentyre and back). Do not miss visiting Staffa when in Iona.

Your order is not optimal if the order you're written up is your actual travel order. Inverness - Ullapool - Poolewe - Portree - Fort William - Iona - Oban - Edinburgh is better.

Also, I have had only positive experiences with AirBnb across 2 continents & 10+ countries now, no complaints :smile: Enjoy your trip and feel free to ask any follow up questions.
    We're a globetrotting travel blogger couple. Find us on Facebook | Instagram

Best of Scotland in 1 Week

See Scotland with us (incl: SkyeMullArranOrkneyLoch Lomond, Islay, Oban)
  • Samantha_GrantSamantha_Grant VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 1
    @abarker324 sounds like an exciting trip.  If you have a head for heights don't miss Corrieshalloch Gorge near Ullapool.  It's an unbelievable sight. I'd also try to visit Assynt when you're there.  It's an area of outstanding natural beauty.  For great views of Assynt's mountains visit Knockan Crag. 

At Fort William take a walk in Glen Nevis and visit nearby Glenfinnan where you'll find the Glenfinnan Monument and a famous railway viaduct from a series of movies you may have heard of - Harry Potter!!  :p

If you like wildlife you could take a boat trip from Inverness Marina to go dolphin spotting on the Moray Firth.  Inverness Castle now has a viewing platform open to the public which offers panoramic views of the city. 

Skye is so well publicised you'll no doubt know what's there already but it's worth visiting the Fairy Pools, Faerie Glen, Staffin, Old Man of Storr and Flora MacDonald's grave near Uig. 

I'm a lifelong Edinburgher, if you check my Scottish travel http://theweewhitedug.com/ blog you'll find several posts dedicated to my wonderful home town.   

Have a lovely time. 

I'm a Scottish travel blogger and freelance writer with an extensive knowledge of travelling in Scotland.  I'm always on the road exploring my wonderful country.  I love remote places, history and the great outdoors.