Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Mallaig/Skye / Eilean Donan Castle/Ft. William /Loch Lomond /Glasgow/Dundee

I'm looking for some advice, Im taking The Jacobite to Mallaig on 12 th July , hoping to get a B & B for the night . I would like to get the ferry to Skye , spend a couple of days there and then to Eilean Donan Castle then back to Ft. William. I would ideally like to go to Loch Lomond , Glasgow then back to Dundee.

Is there public transportation from Skye or Mallaig to  Eilean Donan Castle , and from Eilean Donan Castle to Ft.William ?
I would assume there is public transportation from Ft. William to Loch Lomond/Glasgow ?

I have noticed all the tours I see to Skye start in Edinburgh or Glasgow are there tours beginning in Skye .

Do you think I can do this trip in 4 days ?

Thanks in advance , any information with be greatly accepted .

Comments

• fishyprofishypro Member ✭✭✭
    Hi @Dundeeboy59 , I don't really think that the trip can be done in 4 days unless you don't intend to take anything in.
    If you haven't yet booked the accommodation on Skye I very much doubt that you will find something. The island is very busy and their isn't enough accommodation for all tourists. Check it out now!
    Can't help you with public transport, sorry.
    Best regards
    fishypro
  • Dundeeboy59Dundeeboy59 Member
    Thanks , I have decided to wait till next year to visit Skye etc. I am still visiting in July , but it will be mainly day trips with my parents. 
  • HorizonsHorizons Member, VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
    Hey @Dundeeboy59, sorry for chiming in a bit late, I can answer most of your questions (for next year's trip). For all public transport questions, you can use Google Maps or Traveline Scotland. A tip is that you don't *have* to take the Jacobite to go from Fort William to Mallaig, a normal ScotRail passenger service will take you through the same route at a fraction of the cost.

From Mallaig to Skye, you'll need to catch a ferry from Mallaig to Armadale on Skye, buses connect there on to Broadford (that has hostels and some accommodation). You can choose to connect to another bus that would take you to Portree (enjoy the excellent chippy in Broadford if you have time to kill).

There is a direct bus from Portree to Eilean Donan castle, the Fort William / Glasgow bound buses from Skye. Checkout the Scottish CityLink website for timetables. The same buses continue to Fort William (of course).

Finally, I wholeheartedly recommend Skye Scenic tours for their Skye day tour. I've done the tour twice & taken my family along too who loved it. Do book ahead of time as the guide gets fully booked in summer.
    I'm Anirudh, an Indian travel blogger who has explored a lot of Scotland by public transport. My blog. Find me on Facebook | Instagram

Best of Scotland in 1 week itinerary (fully by public transport)

My Scotland travels (includes EdinburghSkye, HarrisMullArranOrkneyLoch Lomond, Islay, Oban, Speyside)