Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

An Outlander Gathering in Aviemore

FunkyEllas_TravelFunkyEllas_Travel VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭
I've just returned from a fantastic weekend in Aviemore where I joined women (and a few brave men) from across the world to celebrate the Diana Gabaldon books and TV series, Outlander. 

What a weekend!

This gathering was the third, the first being a casual walk down the Royal Mile in Edinburgh for 20 people, in 2014. When 120 showed up the admins realised that people love the show just as much as they did and set about organising a second event, this time at Crieff Hydro in 2015.

In Aviemore over 220 people descended on the Morlich Hotel, part of the MacDonald Resort. We all piled on buses for a tour of some of the filming locations including Culloden Battlefield, Clava Cairns, Beauly Priory and Wardlaw Mausoleum where we met author Sarah Fraser. Having married into the clan twice she has written "The Last Highlander" about the `Old Fox himself, Lord Lovat. We had a gathering themed night where the Scottish band, Clanedonia, surprised everyone by turning up and treating us to a few songs. The next night was a 60's theme complete with personalised campervan place settings and giant campervan cut outs for the photo booth. Richard Rankin, who plays Roger in the show, even surprised us on Saturday afternoon with a sneaky Q+A! There was a Outlander market and education sessions with the herbalist Claire MacKay, Gaelic coach Gillebride MacMillan and author Maggie Craig who wrote the fantastic Women of '45.  

I listened to so many stories over the weekend, from people who not only have a love of Outlander but of Scotland in general. Many were spending weeks in the country and had long itineraries of places they had been dreaming about visiting since they were little. I met an amazing woman called Jill who had travelled from Australia with her husband. I met the South California Outlander group, I met people from South Africa, New Zealand, Germany and France. If you ever get the chance to go to one of these events in the future I can highly recommend it, how lovely to hear people who are so fascinated by our wee country and speak so passionately about places they have seen and the places they plan to see. Have you watch Outlander? Have you visited any of the filming locations? Visit Scotland have designed a map of the locations to help you find them and if you want to find out more about the show I've got a section on my website dedicated to just that here - Outlander

Nicola Holland
Scottish Travel writer/blogger.
Ask me anything about Scotland including eating and drinking, travelling with the family, history, the cities and the countryside.
You can follow me here
Blog|Twitter|Facebook| Instagram