Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Two days in the country from Edinburgh

I'm visiting Edinburgh for two days in August, then renting a car at the airport to see some of the country for two days.  I'm a solo traveler who's comfortable driving on the left (I drive in Ireland all the time), and would like suggestions for a couple of places to visit.  Someone recommended I head to Stirling, then Callendar overnight, then around to Crief to Perth to stay overnight, then back to the airport in the morning.  Are these long drives?  The first day looks like a 3 hour drive.

I want to get a taste for the country, the lakes and glens, but not plan too cover too much ground.  I'm comfortable with 4 - 5 hour drives including stops along the way for photography.  After spending two days in Edinburgh, I'll look forward to seeing a bit of the countryside.  Advice on routes and hotels/B&Bs along the way welcome!

Comments

• HorizonsHorizons VisitScotland Contributor ✭✭✭
    Hey @Solowanderer, the itinerary suggested to you is pretty nice actually and not very stressful. My personal suggestion would be to skip Perth in lieu of a smaller town on the cusp of the highlands like Pitlochry (home to Edradour distillery which I recommend visiting). I would also suggest that you not miss Loch Lomond & Loch Tummel / Queens view. Killin is a nice village to visit on the way & I've recently been recommended Glen Lyon in that area as a hidden gem (thanks @VisitScotlandMuriel). Hope this helps. 
    We're a globetrotting travel blogger couple. Find us on Facebook | Instagram

Best of Scotland in 1 Week

See Scotland with us (incl: SkyeMullArranOrkneyLoch Lomond, Islay, Oban)
  • SolowandererSolowanderer Member
    Thanks, Horizons.  I appreciate the suggestions!
  • YourScotlandTourYourScotlandTour Member ✭✭✭
    Nice itinerary, pretty relaxed... Loch Katrine is nice for a visit :-)
    Bespoke tours.
    Whisky, Castles and Food a speciality.
    yourscotlandtour.co.uk
  • SolowandererSolowanderer Member
    I'm back ... and want to share my new itinerary to get your thoughts.  Planning to head to Stirling, then around Loch Lomond and on toward Oban.  I found a hotel that's about 20 minutes away from Oban, so if I have time that day, I'll have a walk around Oban.  The next day, I'll head to Glencoe and explore along the way, heading south toward Linlithgow where I'll spend the night.  I have a morning flight to Dublin and I don't want to be rushed.  It's a vacation, after all!  Thanks in advance for any thoughts or advice.