Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today.

Driving in Scotland- Need international driver's license?

We are renting a car in Scotland and are from the U.S. Do we need an international driver's license to rent a car?


  • fishyprofishypro Member ✭✭✭
    Hi @KimberlyStraney , no you don't. As far as I am aware you can rent a car with an american driving license.
    Best regards
  • YourScotlandTourYourScotlandTour Member ✭✭✭
    US licence will work here; you will likely only be allowed an automatic. Which probably suits you anyway :-) Enjoy driving here, it's very different to the USA.
    Bespoke tours.
    Whisky, Castles and Food a speciality.
  • argyllgirlargyllgirl Member ✭✭
    You can rent an automatic or manual here with your US licence.  
  • argyllgirlargyllgirl Member ✭✭
    Look online for Youtube videos on how to drive on roundabouts here and also road rules.  

Sign In or Register to comment.