Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

I need some friends (with friendly advice) in Scotland :)

My best friend of 30 years/business partner and I are in the extremely early stages on planning a trip to Scotland next Spring. We own a thriving photography business and travel to different locations shooting models. My father who is pushing 80's family is from Scotland and he has never been (his brothers have). He has mentioned on several occasions "if only." Well, business is good, so Sarah and I decided we would take our dads on our next trip. I need advice on 1)where would be good model location. I like the idea of an abandoned castle/ local scenery, but don't know which would be good for this. We roll without lights, but bring a large reflector and don't want to step on any toes. 2)Any ideas on getting my dad on a NICE golf couse. He's literally asked me to scatter his ashes on saint andrews when he dies. He spends every day playing golf. I need friends in Scotland!!! 

Comments

• fishyprofishypro ✭✭✭
    Hi @AmyRushLaing, great idea for your dads. I live in Pitlochry, in the heart of Scotland. Everything is within reach of our B&B. Inverness, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Aberdeen are all within 1.5 hours drive. Pitlochry is in Highland Perthshire (Big Tree Country) it is full of mountains, lochs and beautiful glens. This is where a lot of filming takes place for the Outlander series and also Game of Thrones. We have Queens View, a short 10 minute drive away, which is a viewing point overlooking Loch Tummel. The Hermitage or Falls of Bruar are two fantastic waterfalls both of which are 10 minutes drive away.
    I am also a PGA Golf Professional so suggestions for a golf is easy. St Andrews is only 1 hour 10 minutes away from us and we stand only a 2 minute walk away from Pitlochry Golf Course. Blairgowrie Golf is 30 minutes away which has 3 courses and Gleneagles (Home of the 2014 Ryder Cup) is only 45 minutes away.
    This makes Pitlochry the ideal place to come and stay.
    If you need any other help just let me know.
    Best regards
    fishypro
  • Thanks @fishypro !! This is so very helpful! Do you happen to know any castles where we would be able to photograph models as well. Maybe ones with less traffic/abandoned. Or do you have any idea what the policies are for professional photographers at ones you would recommend? We photograph at very specific times of day, so will need to make a pretty precise plan on our shooting days.
  • Hi Amy, I work with a professional photographer based in Aberdeen; he runs photography tours - if that's of interest I can send you his details? His website isn't up and running as yet :-(
    Bespoke tours.
    Whisky, Castles and Food a speciality.
    yourscotlandtour.co.uk
  • fishyprofishypro ✭✭✭
    Hi @AmyRushLaing, You could try Menzies Castle, Blair Castle, Huntingtower or Doune (Outlander). They are all within an hours drive.
    Best regards
    fishypro