Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

The Top 500 Summits in Britain and Ireland

We have top 500 lists for travel destinations, cities, food and drink and the like. Most of the lists are subjective and impossible to complete, but the Top 500 Summits is totally factual and can be done. The list comprises the highest 500 summits in Britain and Ireland with a drop of 500 feet on all sides. 430 of the summits are in Scotland, from Ben Nevis (4,411 feet) the highest, to Creag Dhubh (2,479 feet) the lowest. Most of the Munros qualify for the list and all the Corbetts qualify.

As somebody born and brought up in Newcastle, I wanted to include the mountains of the English Lake District, Wales and Ireland in the list which added a further 70 summits. It has taken me a lifetime to climb them all starting with Goat Fell on the Isle of Arran in 1969 and finishing on Monamenach, near Glenshee, in 2016.

I would be interested in any thoughts on this list, and would like to hear from anyone who has climbed or is thinking of climbing all these mountains.

Barry

Comments

• Hi @Barry and welcome to the community! :)

WOW!!  What an accomplishment to have reached the top 500 highest summits in Britain...with 430 of those being in Scotland!!  What an amazing feat to have undertaken and I really admire your dedication to have completed the list!  I must ask...which of our Scottish mountains did you most enjoy and why??
  • Good question Alison!  Ben Nevis has to be a contender, I once did an evening ascent as part of a 'Three Peaks' trip and there were over 100 people on the summit at 9pm on a beautiful evening, it was possible to see across to the Isle of Skye. Another favourite is Sgurr an Gillean from the Sligachan Hotel, I will never forget the first time I visited the Isle of Skye in 1975 and saw it, simply another world! A third is the Cobbler, a spectacular summit and easy to reach from Glasgow. The last ten feet are tricky though.

My favourite place is much easier, Ullapool, which I have been visiting for over 40 years and normally spending some time in the Ferry Boat Inn. The view across Loch Broom on a summer evening to the great peaks of Beinn Enaiglair and Beinn Dearg is the finest view in the world. I am going back at the beginning of June to climb Ben Mor Coigach, which falls just outside the Top 500.