Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today.

Best mode of travel help needed

Hello this is our first time to Scotland. We plan to land in London from Canada. Best prices and options. Our primary focus is Scotland. 
Our thoughts are London, Edinburgh, Inverness, Isle of Skye,Loch Ness, Fort William. We have been searching the internet re modes of travel. We would like to go to Dublin and fly out of Dublin back to Canada, as to go all the way back to London does not make sense. We could also fly out of Glasgow but may be back tracking again. We will have a total of 13 days. Thank-you for your help it means a lot to have people that know Scotland. After this trip of a lifetime we will have a little bit more knowledge, and a lot more questions I am sure.

Comments

• fishyprofishypro Member ✭✭✭
    Hi @PJlovesscotland, sounds like you have great plans already. I would fly to Edinburgh from London and hire a car in Edinburgh. 2 nights in edinburgh then drive to St Andrews and stay 1 night here. Drive up to aboyne, ballater then braemar and stay here for 1 night. Blairgowrie to Pitlochry stay here 1 night. Drive to Inverness with a stop in Aviemore. Stay in Inverness 2 nights and see culloden & cawdor castle, then drive to Skye and stay here for 2 nights and drive to Fort William and stay 1 night. Drive to Loch Lomond and stay 2 nights here then on to Glasgow stay here for the remainder and fly to dublin. Job done. This will be a very exausting 2 weeks but at least you will have an overview of scotland with the knowledge of what was good & bad for example. Then on to book your next trip back again.
    Best regards
    fishypro
  • PJlovesscotlandPJlovesscotland Member ✭✭
    Thank you for your great ideas fishypro!! May I ask if we could take a train from London to Edinburgh, or are you considering time when you suggest flying to Edinburgh. Would you stay in Edinburgh and use the hop on hop off bus walk etc., and then rent a car and travel to St Andrews. Is it easier to travel by car than using the train? Also how hard is it to drive of course we are not used to driving on the left side of the road.  Are these roads easy to find and are they busy highways or nice quieter roads. Also we could fly out of Glasgow but our daughter really wanted to say she had seen some of Ireland so thought we would take a day or 2 there and then fly out of Dublin. Some one suggested going to Belfast as it was closer to Glasgow. Thanks again!!

• HorizonsHorizons Member, VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
    Hey @PJlovesscotland, yes driving is more convenient than taking public transport but if you're not comfortable with left side driving and roundabouts then you're entire itinerary can be done by public transport. I would highly recommend NOT taking the hop on hop off bus, the Edinburgh local buses are more frequent and much cheaper (£4 for a day pass). I have a blog post here outlining how to get to most of Edinburgh's attractions by public transport including bus stop locations and bus numbers.

For London - Edinburgh, if you're travelling with a check-in bag then the East Coast train is the better mode of transport. You might want to buy a railcard (if you're eligible) when you get here if you're considering doing the whole thing by public transport as it will surely save you some money. Else, if you just have a cabin bag, flying from Stansted to Edinburgh is the cheapest method followed by EasyJet from Gatwick.
    I'm Anirudh, an Indian travel blogger who has explored a lot of Scotland by public transport. My blog. Find me on Facebook | Instagram

Best of Scotland in 1 week itinerary (fully by public transport)

My Scotland travels (includes EdinburghSkye, HarrisMullArranOrkneyLoch Lomond, Islay, Oban, DunoonSpeyside)