Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Most underrated place in Scotland?

HorizonsHorizons ✭✭✭
edited May 15 in General Discussion
Tourism is a big part of the Scottish economy and the Highland Tour buses that ferry loads of people across well-known destinations like Loch Ness, Glencoe and Skye are aplenty. But on the other hand, my favourite experiences have been in places far from crowds.

I'd love to know what the most underrated place in Scotland is from the members of the community. The answer I came up with is Dunoon in the Cowal Peninsula, Argyll. It is only 1.5 hours from Glasgow Central and is home to one of Scotland's best walks (Puck's Glen) and best gardens (Benmore Botanical). Plus the town has a fantastic harbour view and is in striking distance of Argyll Forest Park & Inveraray.

Here are our reasons to visit Dunoon (more pictures inside). We hope to get inspiration from the responses.
We're a globetrotting travel blogger couple. Find us on Facebook | Instagram

Best of Scotland in 1 Week

See Scotland with us (including SkyeMullArranOrkneyLoch Lomond, Islay)

Comments

• For me Glen Lyon in Perthshire is pretty much out of the tourist trail but it's a really fabulous place!! Fom 5000 year old Fortingall's Yew Tree to Lubreoch Dam on Loch Lyon at the end of the Glen , it is picture perfect all the way!! At Bridge of Balgie, go over the bridge and carry on to Ben Lawers (10th highest Munro in Scotland) - and experience a total change in the scenery from nice wooded glen to rugged mountains. On another note, you are pretty likely to encounter a pheasant - there are lots of them roaming the area around Fortingall especially  :D 
    A real discovery!!

• ParsmanParsman ✭✭
    Dunfermline. For an ancient royal capital, burial place of Robert the Bruce, birthplace of Andrew Carnegie and home to one of the most influential abbeys in Scottish history it tends to get overlooked by people travelling to Edinburgh, the Highlands or Glasgow.
  • For me it would be the Isle of Jura, what a fabulous place with its famous Paps and even a whisky distillery. I recommend a couple of days at Craignure
  • For me it's Dumfries and Galloway - recently rediscovered this beautiful area, I'd forgotten how beautiful it is.  Al fresco Lunch in New Galloway in the sunshine, Galloway forest drive on Raiders Road with a stop at a beautiful spot next to the River Dee, a drive down to the Mull of Galloway for a view of Ireland and the Isle of Man and a visit to Portpatrick.  2 visits to this area in May already, well worth exploring.
  • HorizonsHorizons ✭✭✭
    Already some fantastic recommendations on this thread! Outside of Jura, I haven't personally been to any of the others. Quite excited to visit them someday :smile:
    We're a globetrotting travel blogger couple. Find us on Facebook | Instagram

Best of Scotland in 1 Week

See Scotland with us (including SkyeMullArranOrkneyLoch Lomond, Islay)
  • Agree with Horizons as to the Cowal Peninsula where I live.  Argyll & Bute is a gorgeous county.  It is great for long bike rides, for visiting Kilmartin Glen which is packed with neolithic sites, Oban is of course in Argyll as are many islands.