Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Cell Phone use....

Hi! Just getting to finalize plans for our 12 day visit next month and I am trying to decide about my Verizon cell phone...Verizon told me I could purchase a Sim card locally and have 100% access to my phone. I am looking for recommendations/suggestions as I am unfamiliar with any of this. I would like to be able to keep in contact with my family in the US, have access to my email and perhaps be able to use the GPS while driving..any info would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• fishyprofishypro Member ✭✭✭
    I don't know much about the purchasing of a sim card but be aware that the mobile phone coverage in Scotland is not always great. There are some huge tourist areas that have terrible phone coverage. I live in Pitlochry in the heart of Scotland and I don't always have coverage.
    I have been to Skye recently and north of Inverness and I had no coverage at all.
    The best thing would be to log into WiFi in Scotland and telephone for free over the internet. No costs!!
    Best regards
    fishypro
  • Catriona_MCatriona_M Member ✭✭
    I think a Vodafone sim would be best for coverage of the islands
  • YourScotlandTourYourScotlandTour Member ✭✭✭
    in general, EE being the combination of 2 networks (T-moibile and Orange) they have the best coverage on the mainland at least. 
    Bespoke tours.
    Whisky, Castles and Food a speciality.
    yourscotlandtour.co.uk