Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Help with planning a round tour via the west coast and the highlands

We are 4 grown-ups who wants to see everything :-). We land i Edinburgh on the 28 th of June and need to be back on the 6th of July. We want to talk long walkes - visit betiful places. We are thinking passing Glasgow going west - islands? - hedding north (how far????). We like nature, sceneries, music, art. Not so much castles etc.
Should we book 3 or four places and do day trips or switch B&B every night? Where in that case?
Do we need to book everything if we travel around?
What shouln't we miss?
We would also like to go riding somewhere - diffrent skills in the family...
Grateful for help!

Comments

• HorizonsHorizons VisitScotland Contributor ✭✭✭
    Hey @Hanna it is going to be physically impossible for you to "see everything" in a week. I would highly recommend creating an itinerary using Google Maps / VisitScotland's Trip Planner / Travel Blogs (I have a 1-week itinerary) and make bookings at the places you select. To maximize you would probably have to switch over to a new B&B every night in a new area.

My itinerary deems Glencoe, Skye (& Eilean Donan castle) & Isle of Mull & Staffa unmissable. It covers Loch Ness as every first time visitor goes to Loch Ness :smile: But based on your interests, you should pick the areas of Scotland you deem most interesting.

Unfortunately I can't help with music, art (though I like the National Gallery in Edinburgh) or riding. Hopefully someone else can help.
    We're a globetrotting travel blogger couple. Find us on Facebook | Instagram

Best of Scotland in 1 Week

See Scotland with us (incl: SkyeMullArranOrkneyLoch Lomond, Islay, Oban)
  • fishyprofishypro Member ✭✭✭
    Hi @Hanna, if you only want to do long walks with great scenery etc then try Perthshire for all of it's Lochs & Glens and Mountains etc. Pitlochry is a great place to base yourselves for a few nights. Nobody wants the stress of constantly changing accommodation. Stay a few nights here and a few nights there.
    Loch Tummel with Queens View, Loch Tay, Loch Rannoch to name but a few. Wonderful walks with excellent views. A walkers paradise!
    Best regards
    fishypro
  • MogMJMRMogMJMR Member ✭✭
    Hi there! Re Horse Riding  it might interest you to know that Scotland has a Horse Riding Hotel! Based in Lanark, Central Scotland http://www.scottishequestrianhotel.com/contactbook/

Here in Aberdeenshire there are numerous options if you are in our area, including an award winning riding School in the city itself (which can be fairly unusual - as riding schools can often be more rural)  which offers lovely rides along Aberdeen beach http://www.hayfield.com/riding.htm amongst others!
    Mogmjmr
    Based in the Scottish Borders, Aberdeenshire has a special place in my heart.
  • Samantha_GrantSamantha_Grant VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
    Hi @hanna you don't mention if you'll have a car or not but assuming you do you can't go wrong with the North Coast 500 or NC500 route.  It's a 500 mile driving route that begins and ends in Inverness.  Not only will you see the rugged mountains of the west coast, you'll get to see the beautiful East Coast too.  Some of the most spectacular beaches in the World are to be found round the route. It'll give you a great feel for the diversity of Scotland's scenery too. 

It's got magical castles and lots of great places to stop for walking, food, drink and sleep!

it's the road-trip of a lifetime.  If you look online you'll find a dedicated NC500 website with lots of hints, tips and route/itinerary suggestions. 

I'm a Scottish travel blogger and freelance writer with an extensive knowledge of travelling in Scotland.  I'm always on the road exploring my wonderful country.  I love remote places, history and the great outdoors.