Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Eglinton Country Park and Castle Ruins

DMWScotlandDMWScotland VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭
edited May 12 in Understanding Scotland
Anyone ever been to Eglinton Country Park in Kilwinning near Irvine, Ayrshire?

The park is a free open space for all to enjoy. Lovely walks around the park, castle ruins, cycle paths, play areas for your children (including two wheelchair swings), fishing, riding paths, cafe, visitor centre and more. Note that the visitor centre is closed at the moment.

I've visited Eglinton Country Park many times over the years, either with my children or to run in the 5k Parkrun. I'd never really looked at the history here as this is not my strong point.

What got me about Eglinton was trying to imagine around 100,000 people in 1839 at a 14th century re-enactment medieval tournment. This included jousting, large melee, procession of banners, pinnacled canopies and a grand ball. Railway lines were opened especially and steamships also brought visitors. People came from all over the British Isles to watch the competition! So even back then the past was more attractive to us and we brought it back to life.

Read more about my visit on my blog

View 360 photos on my blog

Read more history in the Landscape of the Knights brochure

Eglinton castle ruins

Eglinton castle ruins from above

Running across Tournament Bridge

The Ice House

The impressive Tournament Trophy!

I blog about places I've explored in Scotland on Love Exploring Scotland  <3
Follow me on FacebookTwitterInstagramVimeo or YouTube :)

Comments

• VisitScotlandAngelaVisitScotlandAngela Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    I visited Eglington Counrty Park many years ago and I'm so glad you posted this on the forum @DMWScotland because I've always meant to go back.  It really is a fantastic place to go for a walk and I see that they have a great play park which I'm sure will be a massive hit with my kids! :)
  • DMWScotlandDMWScotland VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭
    @VisitScotlandAngela I hope you visit soon. The playpark is great for the kids and the cafe is close by where you can get a tea/coffee etc carry out, sit on a bench and watch them play. There's a bigger park for the older kids and a wee one for the little ones. I hope you have a lovely time. It's a great free day out for sure!

I blog about places I've explored in Scotland on Love Exploring Scotland  <3
    Follow me on FacebookTwitterInstagramVimeo or YouTube :)