Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today.

[Deleted Content]

[Deleted Content]

Comments

• VisitScotlandIntroVisitScotlandIntro Administrator
    Eilan Donan castle has been used in loads of things, notably Highlander and the Bond movie The World is Not Enough. I think it was also used in the film Doomsday as well, but I'm not sure of that one.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] ✭✭✭✭
    [Deleted Content]
  • VisitScotlandIntroVisitScotlandIntro Administrator
    I wonder if they added extra fog for effect on that shot?  :D
    [Deleted Content]
    [Deleted Content]
  • ScotlandTraveloholicScotlandTraveloholic VisitScotland Contributor ✭✭
    This list would not be complete without The Wicker Man starring Christopher Lee, one of the best of all time. That was filmed throughout Scotland; including places like Culzean Castle, Plockton and St. Ninians' Cave. 

What about the film Loch Ness?  With Ted Danson.

Monty Python and the Holy Grail  was also a classic, some scenes from that were filmed at Doune Castle, like Outlander, Castle Stalker and Bracklinn Falls up in the Trossachs. @Samantha_Grant ;
    Scotland Traveloholic
     | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube
    Simply Sharing Scotland!
    edited April 2016
    [Deleted Content]
  • VisitScotlandHeatherVisitScotlandHeather Member ✭✭✭
    @VisitScotlandHeather Great photo. 
    I can't take the credit unfortunately.  It was actually my boyfriend who found the exact spot and set up the shot.  It was a fun thing to do though :smiley:
    [Deleted Content]
  • DMWScotlandDMWScotland VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭
    @Samantha_Grant what a lovely anniversary adventure! This will be my first Munro, and many more I hope! :)
    I blog about places I've explored in Scotland on Love Exploring Scotland  <3
    Follow me on FacebookTwitterInstagramVimeo or YouTube :)
  • VisitScotlandHeatherVisitScotlandHeather Member ✭✭✭
    I recently ticked off Dunnottar Castle from my bucket list... wanted to go there since I watched Brave.  It was really amazing, although a little windy!
    [Deleted Content]
  • EdinBrawGaryEdinBrawGary VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭
    This list would not be complete without The Wicker Man starring Christopher Lee, one of the best of all time. That was filmed throughout Scotland; including places like Culzean Castle, Plockton and St. Ninians' Cave. 

What about the film Loch Ness?  With Ted Danson.

Monty Python and the Holy Grail  was also a classic, some scenes from that were filmed at Doune Castle, like Outlander, Castle Stalker and Bracklinn Falls up in the Trossachs. @Samantha_Grant ;
    Loch Ness - an absolute 'classic'. Some unusual accents in that film. 
    Gary Wood - Blogger at EdinBraw - The Best of Edinburgh
    Passionate about Edinburgh's food and festival scene and slowly starting to explore Scotland. 
    Find me on Twitter, Instagram or Facebook
    [Deleted Content]
    [Deleted Content]
  • TheChaoticScotTheChaoticScot Member ✭✭✭
    On the West Highland Line to Mallaig you pass the remote train station on the Rannoch where Renton has his classic rant in Trainspotting and then you scoot over the Glenfinnan Viaduct AKA The Harry Potter Bridge.

Not bad for one train trip! 

Oh and I do <3 Outlander! 

Follow my adventures on Facebook / Twitter / Instagram 

Have a wee nosey at my blog  

Former tour guide and current blether. Edinburgh girl whose <3 is in the Scottish Islands. Talk to me about scenic walks, photography, places to eat, public transport, exciting adventures and history  :)
  • TheChaoticScotTheChaoticScot Member ✭✭✭
    I also really need to watch Whisky Galore after visiting Eriskay. What a story!

Follow my adventures on Facebook / Twitter / Instagram 

Have a wee nosey at my blog  

Former tour guide and current blether. Edinburgh girl whose <3 is in the Scottish Islands. Talk to me about scenic walks, photography, places to eat, public transport, exciting adventures and history  :)
    [Deleted Content]
    [Deleted Content]
  • VisitScotlandJohnVisitScotlandJohn Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    I was beginning to watch Ridley Scott's Alien prequel, Prometheus, a few weeks back, when I saw the Old Man of Storr on the Isle of Skye appear at the beginning of the film. I did not manage to make it to the end of the movie to see if they ever returned to Skye, but it did get me thinking of other movies to use the island as a cinematic backdrop, with Highlander and Made of Honor coming to mind
    [Deleted Content]
  • IknowluxuryIknowluxury Member ✭✭
    Restless Natives, Gregory's Girl and Local Hero are my favorite Scottish movies:) 
  • HammyHammy Member ✭✭
    A lot of the recent Macbeth film was shot on Skye too. 
    [Deleted Content]
  • ElaineRElaineR VisitScotland Contributor ✭✭✭
    I Know Where I'm Going by Powell and Pressburger is one of my all time favourite films. It definitely stands the test of time in my view. 
  • VisitScotlandMiriamVisitScotlandMiriam Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    I was excited to see the trailer for the BFG recently:

Did you know that some of the filming took place on Skye? Not surprising as it's such a magical place.

Here's some info on the locations: https://t.co/R6Ij8tXd8g 

I'm an Edinburgher who works in the VisitScotland Content Team - have you seen our blog?
  • BushmanBushman Member ✭✭
    Pennan in Aberdeenshire is a wee gem. VERY steep road down to it. It was one of the locations in Local Hero and the Phone box they used is now a listed building/phone box.