Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Recreating movie scenes Scotland style!

Samantha_GrantSamantha_Grant VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
Does anyone else like to transport themselves right into the middle of a movie scene like me?

So many places in Scotland have appeared on the big and small screen so I thought I'd list some of my favourites.

Skyfall - Glen Etive.  What's not to love about recreating that famous scene where Bond and M stand looking down Glen Etive en route to Skyfall? I know I've done it, sadly minus the awesome vehicle. 

Restless Natives - A wonderful motorbike tour of 1980s Edinburgh with Wolfman and The Clown.  The film also features some spectacular Scottish scenery in and around the Rest and be Thankful and Glencoe.

I know where I'm going! - The Isle of Mull features prominently in this beautiful old movie from 1945.  Carsaig, the Western Isles Hotel, Moy Castle and Duart Castle all make an appearance.  It's well worth a watch if you know Mull or fancy a visit and in particular the phonebox in Carsaig.  It needs to be seen to be believed?

Trainspotting - Corrour Station where Renton has his famous rant about being Scottish and the Edinburgh chase scene along Princes Street are a couple of the iconic movie scenes which feature Scotland.

Harry Potter - The Glenfinnan Viaduct by Loch Shiel is now a pilgrimage site for Harry Potter fans hoping to catch a glimpse of the Hogwarts Express. 

Outlander - I couldn't miss a shout out to the small screen and the TV series Outlander where Scotland is the biggest star of all. There are multiple sites featured in the show worth visiting including Blackness Castle near Edinburgh (Fort William), Doune Castle (Castle Leoch), Preston Mill in East Linton (that al fresco bathing scene), The pretty town of Culross in Fife (witch trials town) and Midhope House near Edinburgh (lallybroch).

Do you have any other recommendations or old favourites? Have you recreated some Scottish movie scenes and snapped the evidence on camera? Care to share your inner Bond moment? 

Sam
I'm a Scottish travel blogger and freelance writer with an extensive knowledge of travelling in Scotland.  I'm always on the road exploring my wonderful country.  I love remote places, history and the great outdoors. 

Comments

• VisitScotlandIntroVisitScotlandIntro Administrator
    Eilan Donan castle has been used in loads of things, notably Highlander and the Bond movie The World is Not Enough. I think it was also used in the film Doomsday as well, but I'm not sure of that one.
  • Samantha_GrantSamantha_Grant VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
    I'll need to rewatch Highlander as it's been years since I've seen it. It used to be one of my favourites.  I haven't seen that Bond movie or Doomsday so will add them to my list. 

Here's a wee photo of that famous castle on a beautiful spring day last year. 

I'm a Scottish travel blogger and freelance writer with an extensive knowledge of travelling in Scotland.  I'm always on the road exploring my wonderful country.  I love remote places, history and the great outdoors. 

• VisitScotlandIntroVisitScotlandIntro Administrator
    I wonder if they added extra fog for effect on that shot?  :D
    @VisitScotlandHeather Great photo. 

That's beautiful - I forgot all about that movie. I need to see it. @EdinBlogger

• ScotlandTraveloholicScotlandTraveloholic VisitScotland Contributor ✭✭
    This list would not be complete without The Wicker Man starring Christopher Lee, one of the best of all time. That was filmed throughout Scotland; including places like Culzean Castle, Plockton and St. Ninians' Cave. 

What about the film Loch Ness?  With Ted Danson.

Monty Python and the Holy Grail  was also a classic, some scenes from that were filmed at Doune Castle, like Outlander, Castle Stalker and Bracklinn Falls up in the Trossachs. @Samantha_Grant ;
    Scotland Traveloholic
     | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube
    Simply Sharing Scotland!
    edited April 2016
    @scotlandtraveloholic I'm ashamed to say I've bever seen the Wicker Man all the way through. Need to watch it properly for scenery spotting. 

I love Castle Stalker. What a spot. I had an Aaargh moment there when I slipped on a bit of wet tarpaulin on the path to the beach.   :D

My hubby is from Nairn and has told me about the time Ted Danson visited Inverness High Street for the Loch Ness movie premier. It was the talk of the town. 

• @VisitScotlandHeather Great photo. 
    I can't take the credit unfortunately.  It was actually my boyfriend who found the exact spot and set up the shot.  It was a fun thing to do though :smiley:
    Excellent - I'm quite partial to Outlander too.  Schiehallion is beautiful. Be sure to share your photos with us. We climbed it on our wedding anniversary last summer. @DMWScotland

• DMWScotlandDMWScotland VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭
    @Samantha_Grant what a lovely anniversary adventure! This will be my first Munro, and many more I hope! :)
    I blog about places I've explored in Scotland on Love Exploring Scotland  <3
    Follow me on FacebookTwitterInstagramVimeo or YouTube :)
  • I recently ticked off Dunnottar Castle from my bucket list... wanted to go there since I watched Brave.  It was really amazing, although a little windy!
    @VisitScotlandHeather It's stunning isn't it. I've yet to see Brave but it's on my list. I watched Sunset Song a couple of nights ago. So will check out some of those filming locations when we're up that way in October. 

• EdinBrawGaryEdinBrawGary VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭
    This list would not be complete without The Wicker Man starring Christopher Lee, one of the best of all time. That was filmed throughout Scotland; including places like Culzean Castle, Plockton and St. Ninians' Cave. 

What about the film Loch Ness?  With Ted Danson.

Monty Python and the Holy Grail  was also a classic, some scenes from that were filmed at Doune Castle, like Outlander, Castle Stalker and Bracklinn Falls up in the Trossachs. @Samantha_Grant ;
    Loch Ness - an absolute 'classic'. Some unusual accents in that film. 
    Gary Wood - Blogger at EdinBraw - The Best of Edinburgh
    Passionate about Edinburgh's food and festival scene and slowly starting to explore Scotland. 
    Find me on Twitter, Instagram or Facebook
    I've now watched Wicker Man for the first time. Yikes - they were an odd bunch. I've only ever seen the end before so knew what was coming. Great movie though.  I recognised Skye, Plockton and Culzean Castle though. 

I've not seen Loch Ness for years but you can't beat a wee chuckle at a ham Scottish accent  :D@edinblogger 

I have now seen The Wicker Man (1973 version) and Culzean Castle so that's another movie location and movie off my list.  :) @ScotlandTraveloholic

Thankfully no sign of Lord Summerisle. 

• TheChaoticScotTheChaoticScot Member ✭✭✭
    On the West Highland Line to Mallaig you pass the remote train station on the Rannoch where Renton has his classic rant in Trainspotting and then you scoot over the Glenfinnan Viaduct AKA The Harry Potter Bridge.

Not bad for one train trip! 

Oh and I do <3 Outlander! 

Follow my adventures on Facebook / Twitter / Instagram 

Have a wee nosey at my blog  

Former tour guide and current blether. Edinburgh girl whose <3 is in the Scottish Islands. Talk to me about scenic walks, photography, places to eat, public transport, exciting adventures and history  :)
  • TheChaoticScotTheChaoticScot Member ✭✭✭
    I also really need to watch Whisky Galore after visiting Eriskay. What a story!

Follow my adventures on Facebook / Twitter / Instagram 

Have a wee nosey at my blog  

Former tour guide and current blether. Edinburgh girl whose <3 is in the Scottish Islands. Talk to me about scenic walks, photography, places to eat, public transport, exciting adventures and history  :)
    I watched it last week for the first time. It's great. I recognised Barra. You'll love it. A real feel good film. :) @TheChaoticScot

I finally got round to watching The Illusionionist last night and wanted to thank you for reminding me all about it. Edinburgh looks magical in it. An absolutely stunning animation. The island with the castle reminded me of Mull.   I loved the French twist too. I always imagine Edinburgh then was much like parts of Paris now.

• VisitScotlandJohnVisitScotlandJohn Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    I was beginning to watch Ridley Scott's Alien prequel, Prometheus, a few weeks back, when I saw the Old Man of Storr on the Isle of Skye appear at the beginning of the film. I did not manage to make it to the end of the movie to see if they ever returned to Skye, but it did get me thinking of other movies to use the island as a cinematic backdrop, with Highlander and Made of Honor coming to mind
    Haven't seen the Ailen prewuel but loved Made of Honor. Scotland looked amazing in it. I rewatched Highlander recently - first time in many years. Oh how I loved that movie when it came out. I even had the soundtrack on vinyl.

• IknowluxuryIknowluxury Member ✭✭
    Restless Natives, Gregory's Girl and Local Hero are my favorite Scottish movies:) 
  • HammyHammy Member ✭✭
    A lot of the recent Macbeth film was shot on Skye too. 
    Couldn't resist re-creating that Skyfall scene YET again at the weekend.  Playing M to the Wee White Dug's Bond. 

Macbeth was beautifully shot @Hammy loved it. 

@iloveluxury Movie classics. Love them all. Off to the Local Hero beaches by Mallaig next month. 

• ElaineRElaineR VisitScotland Contributor ✭✭✭
    I Know Where I'm Going by Powell and Pressburger is one of my all time favourite films. It definitely stands the test of time in my view. 
  • VisitScotlandMiriamVisitScotlandMiriam Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    I was excited to see the trailer for the BFG recently:

Did you know that some of the filming took place on Skye? Not surprising as it's such a magical place.

Here's some info on the locations: https://t.co/R6Ij8tXd8g 

I'm an Edinburgher who works in the VisitScotland Content Team - have you seen our blog?
  • BushmanBushman Member ✭✭
    Pennan in Aberdeenshire is a wee gem. VERY steep road down to it. It was one of the locations in Local Hero and the Phone box they used is now a listed building/phone box.