Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Self drive road trip from Edinburgh to Loch Lomond

My husband & I are coming to the UK in September for a 20 day self drive trip beginning in Heathrow and driving up through York and then along to coast to Edinburgh. We are starting a road trip in Scotland on 23 October beginning in:
23 & 24 Edinburgh - 
24 overnight in St Andrews 24
25 October drive to Inverness
26 Inverness to  Loch Ness return to Inverness
27 Inverness to Isle of Skye return to Inverness
28 drive to Loch Lomond via Fort William overnight.
 Obviously we will be stopping along the way to visit the various castles, Lochs, places of interest.
Then heading down to the Lakes district in England.
My question is should we be driving back to Inverness from Loch Ness or just continue on from there to Isle of Skye? We really want to see the Isle of Skye and take in as much of Scotland as we possibly can in the amount of time we have. Am I being too ambitious in this short amount of time? If so what needs to go? Thanks in advance for any suggestions. 

Comments

• fishyprofishypro Member ✭✭✭
    Hi @Megsbro, I would personally drive on to Skye. There is much more to see & do on Skye as in Inverness. Culloden & Cawdor Castle are worth visiting but Inverness itself is not really a tourist attraction.
    Skye on the otherhand is amazing to see. I would suggest to stay 1 night in Inverness & 2 nights on Skye. Fort William is great for Ben Nevis and driving to Glen Coe. Then carry on to Loch Lomond. Cameron House is a great place to stop. Visit Luss near Loch Lomond, very pretty town.
    Best regards
    fishypro
  • MegsbroMegsbro Member
    Thanks for your suggestion, this makes sense. 
  • MegsbroMegsbro Member
    Will have a look at Luss & Cameron House as well.
  • VisitScotlandAngelaVisitScotlandAngela Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Hi @Megsbro

This section of our website has some great information about scenic drives in Scotland which may be useful to you in planning your holiday because there are lots of things to see and do in the areas you will be visiting.  On your last trip from Fort William to Loch Lomond I would definitely advise you to travel in daylight as the scenery along this leg of the journey will take you through Glencoe, which is particularly spectacular and it would be a real shame to drive through this area in the dark.  

Glencoe Village ©VisitScotland / Paul Tomkins, all rights reserved