Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Trip in June 2018 - Speyside to Glasgow Airport in one day

Hi, we are planning a trip for next year in June and we will be in Oban, Skye and then to Aberlour for one night.  We plan on seeing a distillery nearby the day we get there and then we were thinking of going to Glenlivet the next morning.  We have to catch a 5:10 pm flight to Islay from Glasgow airport, return our car hire, etc. before then.  I was hoping we'd have time to stop at Balmoral Castle on the way.  Is this too ambitious?   Would we have time to see Glenlivet, then go to Balmoral and then make our flight at 5?  I'm not even sure, with these local airlines (Flybe, Logan), how early do you have to be there before the flight leaves?  Any help and advice would be much appreciated!  Thanks!
Tagged:

Comments

• fishyprofishypro Member ✭✭✭
    @ktleyed, Flybe check-in is 2 hours before the flight, i think. Balmoral is a beautiful castle but wether it is worth all of the hassle to see just 1 room! They charge 11.50 pounds and you really do only see one room, you can't even see the castle from the roadside to take a photo etc. I, personally, would skip Balmoral and go straight to the airport.
    Best regards
    fishypro
  • VisitScotlandSarahWVisitScotlandSarahW Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Hi @ktleyed. It will take approx 3.5 hours to get down to Glasgow Airport from Glenlivet Distillery and as @fishypro mentioned you will need to check in two hours before. Bear in mind that the first tour leaves at 10.00 pm (thereafter they run every 30 mins) and it will last approx 1 hour or so I think.

As you need be at the airport for 3.00 pm, to be on the safe side (taking into account traffic and you need to catch a wee bus to the terminal from the car hire area) I personally would miss out the distillery and head straight to the airport.

I hope this helps with your decision.  :)
  • ktleyedktleyed Member
    Thanks for the great advice - I'll skip Balmoral and head straight to the airport!