Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Self catering in the Hebrides

Samantha_GrantSamantha_Grant VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
Although I generally stay at a hotel, guest house, B&B or Inn when I'm travelling I've had a couple of recent excellent experiences of self-catering in the Hebrides. 

On the Isle of Harris I stayed at a dog friendly self-catering cottage owned by the wonderful Hotel Hebrides in Tarbert. Perfectly located for a spending spree at the Harris Tweed shop.  Luskentyre Beach was a short car journey away and we spent blissful mornings walking our dog there. Tarbert has a small local store which is akin to a tardis. It sells everything you'll need for a self catering break. If you're not inclined to cook there are several good places to eat in the village. Our accommodation was perfect as it came with all bed linen, towels, cleaning products and useful things like sugar, tea and coffee. This saved having to overload the car. I'd definitely recommend this accommodation and wouldn't hesitate to revisit it again. 

http://www.hotel-hebrides.com/

My other recent experience of self catering was at Calgary Bay on the Isle of Mull.  Mull is my absolute favourite place in Scotland.  I first saw Calgary Bay in my early teens and was blown away. It's stunning. Our accommodation here also came with towels and linen.  There's a store nearby in the village of Dervaig for provisions.  This accommodation has a tea room/gallery attached which is great for a nice hot coffee or hearty soup after a bracing walk on the beach. You'll also find a lovely Art in Nature walk here. It's a woodland walk with lots of quirky installations. The walk leads down to Calgary Bay. My daughter loved it. Again I'd thoroughly recommend this accommodation. What's good about it too is they have a range of different sized accomodation, starting from a studio upwards.

I'm happy to help with any questions you may have about visiting Mull, Harris or travelling in general with dogs or children. 

Sam
I'm a Scottish travel blogger and freelance writer with an extensive knowledge of travelling in Scotland.  I'm always on the road exploring my wonderful country.  I love remote places, history and the great outdoors. 

Comments

• Mac57Mac57 Member
    Recently stayed a week in Erray Cottage, Tobermory. Two bedroom cottage, with large fenced in garden and lovely patio. Also accepts dogs. Only sound is that of the farm animals and birds! Peace and tranquility! Bookable on Trip Advisor. Would definitely recommend. 15 min walk down into Tobermory. Isle of Mull itself is beautiful. Stunning vistas around the coast and a lovely laid back way of life. Happy, peaceful island and a visit to Iona is a must! Stunning views and beautiful beaches. Highly recommend!
  • Mac57Mac57 Member
    Last year (May 2015) we visited Harris and Lewis and stayed in the most amazing cottage on the outskirts of Stornoway, called "Metagama", booked through Hebridean Luxury Holidays. This "cottage" has to be seen to be believed! 2 large main bedrooms downstairs, with a small gallery bedroom, suitable for young child upstairs. Huge bathroom with corner spa bath, large 2-person walk in shower and a sauna with CD player! PLUS underwater lights in the bath which change colour, as well as twinkle starlight ceiling which also changes colour! Large modern kitchen with everything you could want. Library of DVD's and books. Lovely large living dining room, all open plan including L-shaped kitchen. Decking area outside. Quiet location, right on the edge of Stornoway, roughly a ten minute walk away. This cottage has to be seen to be believed! Hoping to go back at some point!

Harris and Lewis is a beautiful island! Such amazing scenery! So much to see and do and very interesting places to visit. Wonderful trip, to be repeated!
  • Samantha_GrantSamantha_Grant VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
    @Mac57 Mull is my favourite place on Scotland. Love it. That accomodation on Harris sounds fantastic. Away to Google it.
    I'm a Scottish travel blogger and freelance writer with an extensive knowledge of travelling in Scotland.  I'm always on the road exploring my wonderful country.  I love remote places, history and the great outdoors.