Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Moving to Skye

I am planning on retiring to Skye in the next few years and wondered if any one had hints/tips on relocating

Comments

• fishyprofishypro Member ✭✭✭
    Hi @LadySplash, Where have you lived in the past? and Why Skye? Where on Skye?
    Skye can be very remote at times. Tesco delivers there but they drop everything in Portree where you need to go to pick it up. Are you planning on becoming a Painter, Crofter or a B&B owner? Skye has a huge lack of accommodation providers!
    Best regards
    fishypro
  • LadySplashLadySplash Member
    Hi Fishypro 

Skye because I live on the crowded South Coast of England and I'm fed up with the constant sound of traffic and permanent light pollution. I'm deliberately looking for a more remote location with peace and quiet. Actually I am planning on taking up painting again and possibly pottery and fused glass. I'm a digital media consultant so I'm hoping the broadband service is reasonable so I can continue my freelance work. Do you live on Skye?

• fishyprofishypro Member ✭✭✭
    Hi @LadySplash, I don't live on Skye, I live in Pitlochry which is one of the most busiest towns in Scotland where the Wi-Fi is awful, but I have friends living on Skye and they tell me that the broadband is good enough to read email etc but downloading anything too big can be painfully slow.
    I think that pottery, glass work etc will be a good idea. Maybe even a 1 or 2 room B&B should also be looked at as a possibility.
    Best regards
    fishypro
    Hi @Fishypro ;

Thanks for that. Hopefully I won't need to work unless I want to. I'm planning on building my own house, which is scary but exciting. 

Regards 
    LadySplash 
  • HorizonsHorizons VisitScotland Contributor ✭✭✭
    Hey @LadySplash, your idea sounds so right to me personally on so many levels. I don't believe any of our regular contributors in this forum are Skye locals but I know a few from a Facebook group called Scotland Time. I've gained a lot of insights from Skye locals on that group (they're a friendly bunch) and I think they'll point you to the right direction.
    We're a globetrotting travel blogger couple. Find us on Facebook | Instagram

Best of Scotland in 1 Week

See Scotland with us (incl: SkyeMullArranOrkneyLoch Lomond, Islay, Oban)
    Thank you @Horizons. That's really helpful information