Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

What's on your ULTIMATE Scotland travel bucket-list?

VisitScotlandAmandaVisitScotlandAmanda Member, Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
Question of the day: What are the ULTIMATE not-to-be-missed experiences in Scotland that everyone should see/do/experience at least once in their life?

Do you have a Scotland bucket-list (either your recommendations or the things you're dying to do!)

Share the things that would make your list in the comments below!
Kiwi gal, relocated to Scotland. 
Instagram
Tagged:

Best Answers

Answers

• sja430_Ohiosja430_Ohio Member
    What time of year are the tattoos held?  I will be in Scotland the first week of Sept., in the Highlands, with a tour.  And, the big question, what weather can I expect?  That same time in Ohio, USA, is hot and usually humid.
  • fishyprofishypro Member ✭✭✭
    Hi @sja430_Ohio, The Tattoo is the whole of August during the Fringe festival, so you will just miss it.
    The weather in September can be quite settled and very mild, but this is Scotland so be prepared for all 4 seasons in one day.
    Best regards
    fishypro
  • FullStopNextChapterFullStopNextChapter VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭
    @sja430_Ohio - Although you will miss the main Edinburgh tattoo which is held throughout August, there is a Highland Military Tattoo up at Fort George near Inverness. Might be worth considering? 
    Join in my new chapter over on the blog. Discovering all things that make Scotland the place everyone wants to visit. 

Website
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
    YouTube
  • FishjaggerFishjagger Member ✭✭
    The North Coast 500 and over to Orkney also
  • FofomaFofoma Member ✭✭✭
    The North Coast 500
    Walk the Larig Ghru
    Walk the West Highland Way
    Walk the Great Glen Way
    Harris
    Arran
    Falls of Glomach
    See an otter in the wild
    Climb as many Munro's as I can before I'm too old.

oh and lastly....Spot Nessie  ;)

• Samantha_GrantSamantha_Grant VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
    Puffins should be on everyone's bucket list.  The adorable little clowns of the sea are so photogenic.  I snapped these guys on the Isle of May, where there are 40,000 breeding pairs.  <3   

I'm a Scottish travel blogger and freelance writer with an extensive knowledge of travelling in Scotland.  I'm always on the road exploring my wonderful country.  I love remote places, history and the great outdoors. 

• johnmurrayjnrjohnmurrayjnr Member ✭✭✭
    I was lucky enough to get up the UNESCO World Heritage site, The Forth Bridge. Even just taking a trip to North or South Queensferry to see it up close will blow you away! 150 years later and it's still serving its purpose! 

• johnmurrayjnrjohnmurrayjnr Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 12
    Also, you haven't lived until you've been sheep spotting on the North Coast 500 B)

• ScathachScathach Member ✭✭
    My Scottish bucket list:

- Outer Hebrides from Lewis all the way down to Barra (I only have done Lewis and Harris)
    - Rum, Eigg, Muck, Canna
    - Tiree
    - Islay and Jura
    - Bag Ben Nevis
    - West Highland way
    - St. Kilda
    - Fingal's cave
    - Land in barra
    - Fly from Westray to papa Westray - the shortest scheduled flight in the world)
    - Fair Isle
    - Go back to Mull and have more luck with the weather and explore more
    - visit all the small islands in both Orkney and Shetland

yeah... I think that's about it.
  • FullStopNextChapterFullStopNextChapter VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭
    This year both myself and other half have had a big birthday. So we created our Forty Things at 40 list. A great excuse to get out and explore more of Scotland. We had 20 each to choose of places we had never visited, events, restaurants, walks etc.

So we have done things like:

Up Helly Aa
    Edinburgh Tattoo
    North Coast 500
    Orkney
    Duncansby stacks in Caithness
    Highland Fling bungee swing at Killikrankie
    Dunnottar Castle
    Vat O Burn
    Stay at Cameron House
    Queens Walk
    Peterhead Prison
    Strathspey Railway
    Bass Rock boat trip

I still have a few I want to do from the list: visit the reindeer herd in the Cairngorms and eat at a Michelin star restaurant. 

My list of things to visit in Scotland grows almost every day. Should keep us busy for a while!

Join in my new chapter over on the blog. Discovering all things that make Scotland the place everyone wants to visit. 

Website
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
    YouTube