Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Spoiled for choice

2»

Comments

• VisitScotlandAlisonVisitScotlandAlison Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Glamis is a idyllic spot and you can now go in the main gate, down the drive (feeling like an extra from Downton) park and enjoy the shop and restaurant even if you don't have time for the full tour and gardens experience.  But I guarantee that once you are there, the castle will work its magic and you will not want to leave ...
  • HorizonsHorizons VisitScotland Contributor ✭✭✭
    Surprised by the lack of love for Orkney on this thread pertaining to history. Seeing 5000 years of human history in front of you puts a lot of things in perspective (atleast it did for me). When in Orkney, do not miss

1. Maeshowe: 2800BC built chambered cairn, real Viking etchings on stone inside make it a double treat.

2. Skara Brae: 3000BC Stone age village that proves coastal property was a hit from the very beginning

3. Ring of Brodgar & Ness of Brodgar: Standing stone ring with 27 stones is already a huge hit but the nearby excavations that make up the Ness of Brodgar are uncovering, among other things, a Neolithic temple.

We're a globetrotting travel blogger couple. Find us on Facebook | Instagram

Best of Scotland in 1 Week

See Scotland with us (incl: SkyeMullArranOrkneyLoch Lomond, Islay, Oban)
  • j2scotlandj2scotland Member ✭✭
    @Samantha_Grant   Thanks for starting this discussion.  I, like yourself, am a Scottish history enthusiast and I have enjoyed reading everyone's comments.  A few that come to mind for me are Campbell Castle, Cawdor Castle, Doune Castle and Elcho Castle, which I think was already mentioned.  If I can add one that's not a castle, I have to say our visit to Inchmahome Priory was absolutely perfect, boat ride included.
    Come by and say hello.  :) 
    Blog:  journeys2scotland.wordpress.com
    Instagram: journeys2scotland
  • Samantha_GrantSamantha_Grant VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Great choices and what's not to love about being a history geek. @simplyscotia

Since I'm here I'll add a couple of sites I snapped on my travels last weekend. 

The hugely impressive Elgin Cathedral and Duffus Castle.  Now that was a great day out. <3

I'm a Scottish travel blogger and freelance writer with an extensive knowledge of travelling in Scotland.  I'm always on the road exploring my wonderful country.  I love remote places, history and the great outdoors. 

• j2scotlandj2scotland Member ✭✭
    @Samantha_Grant  fantastic photos!  I haven't been to either of those places but I would love to!  I have read about Duffus Castle and that it is an older style of castle - a motte and bailey - and it would be great to visit it in person.

https://www.historicenvironment.scot/visit-a-place/places/duffus-castle/
    Come by and say hello.  :) 
    Blog:  journeys2scotland.wordpress.com
    Instagram: journeys2scotland
  • DMWScotlandDMWScotland VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭
    SCOTTISH CASTLES AND RUINS

Rather than creating a new thread I thought I'd add to this already magnificent list!

I live near the 14th Dundonald Castle in Ayrshire and had the wonderful opportunity to make a short video with drone footage my fiancé recorded.

I'm told that Dundonald Castle is more important than we think. It's a Royal Castle that was home to King Robert II (Robert the Bruce's grandson). A long line of Stewart (Stuart) monarchs began here.

The ruins of Old Auchans House can be found by walking a short way down through the woods. I love this ruin. Over the years it belonged to three Ayrshire families, the Wallaces, the Cochranes and the Montgomeries.  To help build this 16th/17th century house stone was taken from Dundonald Castle.

I hope you enjoy our videos!
    I blog about places I've explored in Scotland on Love Exploring Scotland  <3
    Follow me on FacebookTwitterInstagramVimeo or YouTube :)
  • Samantha_GrantSamantha_Grant VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
    Had to add the Tomb of the Eagles on Orkney to my list after a fab and very unique visit recently. (Our tour guide was a dog)! It was a joy to visit from start to finish and a fascinating experience.  Sometimes it pays dividends to visit the not so big names. 

If you'd like to know more I've written a blog about my visit.  If you enjoy it, you may also enjoy part one which focusses on some of the popular touristy sites. 

https://theweewhitedug.com/2017/04/05/orkney-part-2-a-brough-too-far/

I'm a Scottish travel blogger and freelance writer with an extensive knowledge of travelling in Scotland.  I'm always on the road exploring my wonderful country.  I love remote places, history and the great outdoors. 

2»