Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Getting cash in the Highlands and Orkney

Hi all,

This may be a rather stupid question but I was wondering how easy it is to withdraw cash in the Highlands and in Orkney. My boyfriend and I will be spending ten days driving around the Highlands and Orkney and, with quite a few of our bookings, especially in Orkney, we've found that we need to pay in cash (or by cheque). Are there easy-to-find cashpoints in these areas? Or is it better to withdraw a lot of cash in Edinburgh before we take off?

Thanks so much!

Comments

• SuleskerrySuleskerry Member ✭✭
    Hi @cmillar There are several banks/cash points in Orkney so there's no need to travel from Edinburgh with lots of cash. In Kirkwall, we have 4 banks (Royal Bank of Scotland, Bank of Scotland, Clydesdale and Lloyds) all of which have cash machines, and Santander also have a cash machine. In Stromness the Bank of Scotland has a cash machine, and there is also one at the Co-op supermarket. Most supermarkets also offer cash back. If you are travelling to any of the small islands, it would be advisable to take cash with you. I'm not sure about the Highlands as it would depend which parts of the Highlands you would be visiting, but most of the main towns will have cash machines.
  • cmillarcmillar Member ✭✭
    Thanks so much @Suleskerry that's very helpful.