Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Train tickets

Hi there,I have a trip planned for late summer and the second half of my journey I am planning to use the train system. Not 100% on the itinerary but was thinking:

•  Oban > Edinburgh
  •  Possibly Edinburgh>Stirling
  •  Either Edinburgh or Stirling > Glasgow

Am I best off buy tickets at the time for each individual trip or is there a sort of pass I could use that would make economic sense?

Would love to hear opinions. Thanks.
Tagged:

Comments

• HorizonsHorizons VisitScotland Contributor ✭✭✭
    Hey @ngilfoy, for your itinerary you're better off buying individual tickets. No travelpasses fit your need (especially the Spirit of Scotland pass, I've explained here how it makes very little financial sense).

You should buy an "Advance" ticket for your Oban to Glasgow journey (you need to go through Glasgow to reach Edinburgh) to save the most amount of money. These fares are available 12 weeks in advance of your journey and are valid only for a specific train (date + time) but are much cheaper than buying tickets on the day.

The other money saving tip is to buy return tickets over 2 one-way tickets. If you choose to skip Stirling, buy an off peak return ticket (valid for 30 days) from Glasgow to Edinburgh (use on half on the day travelling from Oban to Edinburgh). Stirling is a super-easy day trip from either of these cities and in that case you should by an off peak "day" return ticket (valid for 1 day).

Sorry if the terms above sound confusing, the British train system is one of the world's most expensive railway systems if you do not know your way around these ticket rules. Use the ScotRail website to book your tickets online (you'll need your payment card to collect the tickets from a station ticket machine). Checkout out UK Public Transport guide on more details on how to work your way around 
    We're a globetrotting travel blogger couple. Find us on Facebook | Instagram

Best of Scotland in 1 Week

See Scotland with us (including SkyeMullArranOrkneyLoch Lomond, Islay)
  • ngilfoyngilfoy Member ✭✭
    Thanks so much @Horizons I do find this a bit confusing but I'll get it figured out. Definitely helpful advice.