Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Short Scotland trip in May with my family

Hi we are a family of 4 with 2 adults and 2 kids aged 10 & 13 visiting Scotland from 19th May till 24 th May ie 5 days. We start from Edinburgh with 2 days & then wish to see the famous Scottish countryside in a rental car , visit a distillary. Interest is history , photography, eating good food but don't want to pack in too many things since we have to drive to Windermere ( Lake District) . We are looking at advise on how to take a road trip with accommodation ideas etc, so that we can cover some of our interests above. Thanks in advance and appreciate any help that we can get.

Comments

• YourScotlandTourYourScotlandTour Member ✭✭✭
    Sorry, you've got 2 days in Edinburgh? Then 3 days to tour?

Day one; head through the Trossachs, aim for Inveraray for overnight - try the George.

Day 2 head up through to Glenfinnan, via Glen Coe and the Corran ferry. Overnight in Fort William. Try to get lunch in the seafood cafe on Loch Leven North Shore.

Day 3 head through to the A9 via the General Wade's road and The Queens view - that'll put you nicely on the road to England (or go back down the coast)
    Bespoke tours.
    Whisky, Castles and Food a speciality.
    yourscotlandtour.co.uk
  • DeepuDeepu Member
    Hi thanks for the information. We had thought of driving till Inverness from Edinburgh spend a night there then 2 days near Oban or Fort William and drive to Lake District. Do please let me know if that is ok. Also can we visit the Isle of Skye from Oban or is that too much of a drive.  Was also looking for advice on the route to take and any stops or places to visit on the way
  • YourScotlandTourYourScotlandTour Member ✭✭✭
    Try using maps.google.co.uk to check driving times :-) I'd suggest looking at the distance and if you're not used to driving in Scotland using 35-40 mph as an average to calculate driving times...
    Bespoke tours.
    Whisky, Castles and Food a speciality.
    yourscotlandtour.co.uk
  • ArchiesArchies Member
    I would stay in Fort William, then down to Glencoe, on to Glasgow then back down to the Lakes. Stunning drive
  • Mcarthur7Mcarthur7 Member ✭✭
    Skye is much easier to visit from Fort William or Inverness and I would pick Fort William so I could drive through the Glencoe area on the way North