Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Public Transport Fort William - Edinburgh Airport

Sarah_JoSarah_Jo Member
Hi all!
Me and my brother are walking the West Highland Way in July/August. I've planned almost everything now but I've got my doubts about how to get to the airport again.
We will arrive at Fort William on August 3rd, in the late afternoon or evening I suppose. We have our flight back at Edinburgh Airport on August 4th at 2pm, so we would need to be there around noon. Would you recommend taking train or bus, in the evening or in the morning? I think it is about 4 or 5 hours to Edinburgh? Sleep in Fort William or Edinburgh or take a night train? Google doesn't quite help this time :)
Thanks in advance!
Sarah

Comments

• HorizonsHorizons VisitScotland Contributor ✭✭✭
    Hey @Sarah_Jo you haven't mentioned if you're flying international / have checked baggage which are 2 airport constraints that influence airport arrival time. My recommendation would be to take the 7:10 PM bus to Glasgow arriving just after 10 PM, sleep and leave for Edinburgh well rested :smile: The earliest bus from Fort William to Glasgow and connecting to an Edinburgh airport bus reaches EDI at 12:19 PM which is ok for a domestic + no checked luggage flight but not otherwise (I believe WHW walkers will have checked luggage).

Summer bus timetables from Ft. William - Glasgow yet to be announced but will be found here : http://www.citylink.co.uk/timetables.php Timetables for the more scenic rail journey can be found here : https://www.scotrail.co.uk/plan-your-journey/timetables-and-routes
    We're a globetrotting travel blogger couple. Find us on Facebook | Instagram

Best of Scotland in 1 Week

See Scotland with us (incl: SkyeMullArranOrkneyLoch Lomond, Islay, Oban)
  • Sarah_JoSarah_Jo Member
    edited April 17
    @Horizons Thanks for your help! :)

We are flying international, to Belgium, but we don't have checked luggage. So I think 12.19 would be fine. But, just to be on the safe side (and a bit more rested ;) ) I think it would be easier to just sleep in Glasgow then.

Do I need to book the bus tickets beforehand? If so, any idea when will I be able to do that? Like you said, I can't see the timetables for August now.

• Thinking about hiring a taxi/bus/limo to get four to eight persons Ft. William to Glasgow airport. Any recommendations for firms to like/avoid?

• HorizonsHorizons VisitScotland Contributor ✭✭✭
    @Sarah_Jo what a coincidence, I just flew back via Brussels airport :smile: The tickets are available on the same website as the one where the timetables are located (linked in my post above). Book around 3 weeks ahead of time to access the cheapest "Apex fares".
    We're a globetrotting travel blogger couple. Find us on Facebook | Instagram

Best of Scotland in 1 Week

See Scotland with us (incl: SkyeMullArranOrkneyLoch Lomond, Islay, Oban)