Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Ancestor Castle - Comyn / Lochindorb Castle

A family name of Cummings is connected to the Scottish name Comyn, and we found that the ancestral castle is Comyn or Lochindorb Castle. It's in the middle of a loch on the the Dava Moor, south of Nairn and Forres. So we have read. Is it possible to get there, how close can we get? Is it worth the drive? Is it better to come in from Nairn or via A9 ? Thanks.
Tagged:

Comments

• Samantha_GrantSamantha_Grant VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 17
    @stonesearcher It's one of my favourite stopping off spots en route to Nairn.  We always take the quiet route via Carrbridge and Dava Moor.  There's a sign for Lochindorb on the moor.  It's a beautiful and bleak place. The castle is quite spooky. You'd need a boat or canoe to reach it but there's a great view from the shore. The Comyns also have links to other castles in the area, Castle Grant (Grantown-on-Spey), Loch an Eilein Castle (Rothiemurchus) and Castle Roy (Nethy Bridge) so it's worth checking them out and apologise as my clan The Grants appear to have taken those ones by force! Even keeping a Comyn skull in Castle Grant as a macabre souvenir! 

Below are Lochindorb, Loch an Eilein, Castle Roy and Castle Grant. 

Happy castle hunting.

I'm a Scottish travel blogger and freelance writer with an extensive knowledge of travelling in Scotland.  I'm always on the road exploring my wonderful country.  I love remote places, history and the great outdoors.