Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Great distillery tours!

fishyprofishypro Member ✭✭✭
It would be great if we could all suggest a fantastic distillery tour that we have experienced.
I will start by adding the 2 distilleries in Pitlochry.
Edradour Distillery is famous for being Scotlands smallest distillery. It is open between April & October and has a family feel to it.
The other choice would be Blair Athol Distillery which is famous for making Bells Whisky. This is open nearly all year round.

Best regards
fishypro

Comments

• YourScotlandTourYourScotlandTour Member ✭✭✭
    Glengarioch does a good tour.
    Glencadam, you need to book and is up to 5 people per tour.... it's a bit of a special one :-)
    Bespoke tours.
    Whisky, Castles and Food a speciality.
    yourscotlandtour.co.uk
  • FullStopNextChapterFullStopNextChapter VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭
    One of the best distillery tours I have ever been on was at the Isle of Harris Distillery
    The tour starts in the tasting room and they explain what makes the whisky in a rather novel way - with a Harris tweed abacus (obviously! haha). It shows the percentages of each component. 

From the moment you go through the front doors you feel the warmth (literally, there is an open fire), passion and friendliness of the staff. There are photos of the distillers upon the walls showing them at work and also a glimpse into their lives outwith their jobs. It's a genius way to involve islanders and visitors. 
    Oh and although the malt whisky won't be ready for at least another 12 months, they have AMAZING gin! 
     You can read about my visit here
    Join in my new chapter over on the blog. Discovering all things that make Scotland the place everyone wants to visit. 

Website
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
    YouTube
  • HorizonsHorizons VisitScotland Contributor ✭✭✭
    I think I've been to more than a dozen distilleries across Scotland and my favourite has to be Ardbeg on Islay (closely followed by Edradour). Fantastic tour with Shorty the dog (the Ardbeg mascot) showing up in pictures in random places, a great coastal location and, of course, superb whiskies.

Also love the free Glenlivet tour. My top 5 whisky experiences across Scotland can be found here.
    We're a globetrotting travel blogger couple. Find us on Facebook | Instagram

Best of Scotland in 1 Week

See Scotland with us (incl: SkyeMullArranOrkneyLoch Lomond, Islay, Oban)
  • FofomaFofoma Member ✭✭✭
    I was a Distillery Tour Guide in a former life so I have a great fondness for my old Distillery, Glenturret in Crieff - it's now home to the famous Grouse Experience but that hasn't changed the bones of the old buildings. It's Scotland's Oldest Distillery so always worth a visit. It was also home to Towser, the distillery cat who was listed in the Guinness Book of Records as a champion mouser. She caught 28,899 mice in her almost 24 years ( it's the one figure I have never forgotten from my tour!) 
    I also think  Edradour is good, however go on a weekday as they don't produce at the weekends and I think that the tour isn't so good when nothing is running.
    Another favourite is Glen Grant in Rothes - it has an unusual twist to the tour.
  • BushmanBushman Member ✭✭
    Talisker on the isle of Skye is a must visit. The drive to the distillery is stunning.

The other I would recommend is Oban. Book your tour as its in the centre of Oban and gets very busy.
  • jackcairneyjackcairney VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭
    Great topic :smile: I would second Talisker, it's a great tour and the scenery driving there is spectacular. I would also recommend heading for lunch at the Oyster Shed which is only 1 minutes drive from the distillery, amazing fresh seafood!

Another great tour is the Dewar's Aberfeldy Distillery,  it has a great interactive exhibition and the tour is fantastic, especially the drams at the end!  :)

Cheers

Jack
  • VisitScotlandAlisonVisitScotlandAlison Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Kingsbarns Distillery near St Andrews on the A917 does a super tour and is open all winter too.  www.kingsbarnsdistillery.com/