Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Hi, I am going to be visiting Scotland for the first time since I was a wee girl, I live in Canada

HI... I am coming from Canada to visit the Findhorn Community .. wondering the most scenic route ( train or bus?) to get from Glasgow up to Forres?

Also looking for a reasonably priced hotel in the downtown area of Glasgow near to the transit and good restaurants?

thanks ..mary

Answers

• HorizonsHorizons Member, VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
    Hey Mary, I have a biased answer as I love taking trains so I'd suggest you take a train up to Inverness and change there to catch one stopping at Forres (7:10 AM departure, 4 hr 14 mins journey seems to be the most efficient). The Glasgow / Inverness route starts flat but enters the dramatic Highlands just after Pitlochry and skirts the Cairngorms national park. It is mostly parallel to the roadway the bus would take except near my favourite section near Dalwhinnie.

Unfortunately can't help you with the accommodation question as I'm an Edinburgher.
    I'm Anirudh, an Indian travel blogger who has explored a lot of Scotland by public transport. My blog. Find me on Facebook | Instagram

Best of Scotland in 1 week itinerary (fully by public transport)

My Scotland travels (includes EdinburghSkye, HarrisMullArranOrkneyLoch Lomond, Islay, Oban, DunoonSpeyside)

• VisitScotlandJulieVisitScotlandJulie Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Hello @Dudley

You can browse accommodation in Glasgow at the link below. I've ordered the listing to show lowest price first and then by ascending price. You can click on 'map view' to see which ones are close to the railway stations (Queen Street or Central) or bus station (Buchanan Street) as well as Glasgow Airport - very useful map view if using public transport. If you want to filter the listing, you can use the pink 'refine' button to choose which facilities or type of accommodation you prefer. Anything with a star-rating is quality-assured by VisitScotland and there are plenty of great restaurants in the city centre to choose from. 

https://www.visitscotland.com/destinations-maps/glasgow/accommodation/?order=guideprice&page=1

Happy planning!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] ✭✭✭✭
    [Deleted Content]