Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Celebrate Scotland's iconic World Heritage Sites on World Heritage Day with #ScotlandinSix

From stone circles predating Egypt's Great Pyramids by nearly 1,000 years to a modern marvel of engineering on the Firth of Forth, Scotland's World Heritage Sites are being celebrated like never before this World Heritage Day. 

Scotland in Six, coordinated by 'Dig It! 2017', will host interactive events on April 18th at each of Scotland's six World Heritage Sites: The Antonine Wall, Edinburgh Old & New Town, Forth Rail Bridge, Heart of Neolithic Orkney, New Lanark, and St Kilda. Each event, like a Picts v. Romans 5K race at the Antonine Wall or an explorable Minecraft recreation of St Kilda, aims to engage people in heritage and archaeology in unexpected ways - it's not all trowels and trenches, after all!

If you're a heritage or tourism person in Scotland (and beyond!) it would be great to get your support in spreading the hashtags #ScotlandinSix and #WorldHeritageDay far and wide in preparation for the big day. 

Most importantly, to anyone who just loves Scotland and a spot of history then get in on the action by attending the events and sharing your perspectives on Scotland's World Heritage Sites. Each event will be covered live on the 18th, and myself and the other bloggers, along with everyone else involved including VisitScotland, would love to hear from you.

So - what World Heritage Site means the most to you? Share your stories on the relevant threads here and across social media platforms including Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Periscope and Tumblr using the hashtags above.

I'll be covering the "Old vs. New: Battle of the Bands" in Edinburgh - hope to see you there, and in spirit all across Scotland on the day!

David C. Weinczok
@TheCastleHunter   

Comments

• eliseandlifeeliseandlife VisitScotland Contributor ✭✭
    Hi David, good to see you on here!  I'm covering all things knitting at New Lanark on the day - I'm excited to see how your Battle of the Bands stuff goes! :smiley:
  • VisitScotlandLyndsayVisitScotlandLyndsay Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Hi @CastleHunter! I visited Orkney last year as part of a guided day trip. (Even though I do come from the north of Scotland, the last time I visited Orkney was many years ago on a school trip  :o. )

Part of our day trip was a visit to Skara Brae, and it was just fascinating! There is a great exhibition telling the story of Skara Brae before taking the walk to the village. Once there, to see something which is so old and to still appear untouched is quite remarkable.  

World Heritage Day sounds like a fantastic event, and good luck with the Battle of the Bands! 

• CastleHunterCastleHunter Member
    Hi @eliseandlife and @VisitScotlandLyndsay!

Skara Brae is special, no doubt about it - love that as you walk along the pathway there are inscriptions which put its age into context against world-famous structures like the Great Pyramids. I admit a partiality to the Heart of Neolithic Orkney myself, but don't tell the other 5 sites that! 

I was also tempted to make a knitting-based pun but thankfully for us all opted not to :tongue: I've seen several posts on Twitter about people getting their knitting kits, great to see the excitement mounting already. 

If you're in to Roman-era Scotland and Game of Thrones you might want to check out a video I made with Dig It! 2017 about the Antonine Wall, one of the other 6 World Heritage Sites we have. Here's the link: 

Thanks for getting in on the discussion, all the best from me and the Antonine Wall's newest watchman below!