Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Motorhome Newbies

Hi Everyone. We have hired a mid size Motorhome for 2 weeks in the Summer and would like to travel the west coast and highlands / Islands before heading back down the East coast to Northumberland. We are total novices to all of this so any advice or tips would be much appreciated. Thank You.

Comments

• WaterboatmanWaterboatman Member
    Oh dear, not much help, is it? We're coming to Scotland in June for a month in our motorhome and, like you, looking for advice. In particular where one can stay overnight free. Being a motorhome, there's no need for any facilities. If anyone can offer any gems, they'd be welcome.
  • Johnny5Johnny5 Member ✭✭
    If I`m honest I rarely plan our journeys in the Highlands .. I just pick a road and drive it! You won`t go wrong for scenery and campsites where ever you go on the West Coast but one vital tip, if you see a garage fill your tank up. In some parts you won`t see a garage for many, many miles. Gas cylinders can be pricey in parts so best to take a decent supply with you. Most of all .. enjoy your holiday!
  • Johnny5Johnny5 Member ✭✭
    Staying somewhere for free is simple .. there are many places where you can pull up on the side of the road, we do this often but I do prefer to find somewhere that maybe one or two other vans are parked up. Much of the Highlands are so remote but it`s just peace of mind that there`s someone else close by. Wild camping is excellent, try it!
  • JohnsJourneys1JohnsJourneys1 Member
    Wild Camping in the North and West of Scotland can be fun provided you think of the environment and others that may follow. Unfortunately, those who are less considerate spoil it for the rest, which is why it is not permitted without a license in the Loch Lomond and the Trossachs.
    Some of the official Camping and Caravan Parks have the best locations so do give them a try.
  • YourScotlandTourYourScotlandTour Member ✭✭✭
    When you see a vehicle in your mirror, they've caught you... this means they are travelling faster than you. Get outta the way ;-) :-)
    Bespoke tours.
    Whisky, Castles and Food a speciality.
    yourscotlandtour.co.uk
  • EwanEwan VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭

Sorry I've just found your original post and hope you had a good time.  I'd echo the advice by @JohnsJourneys1 above to stay in a campsite.  There are some fantastic sites, particularly in NW Scotland (see my blog for my recommendations), and businesses in such fragile rural communities deserve to be supported.  They're a great sources of advice on places to eat/visit and are geared up with appropriate facilities. 

Unfortunately, free camping does little to support the local economy and leads to certain locations being overused.  This is now becoming a real issue in some places (eg just 2 motorhomes staying a night equals 14 in a week, 52 a month .....)  So, please, come and enjoy all that Scotland has to offer - and also help support a thriving and responsible tourism industry.

Exploring Scotland's wild places by foot, bike and camper van

WildaboutScotland blog | Twitter