Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Finding Scotlands Red Squirrels

fishyprofishypro Member ✭✭✭
Lets start a new topic to find out some of the best areas to see Red Squirrels in Scotland. I will start by adding Pitlochry to the list. Hopefully this will help Saving Scotlands Red Squirrels too. Here is a great photo of a little cheeky Baby finding his first peanut at Torrdarach House B&B.

Best regards
fishypro

Comments

• argyllgirlargyllgirl Member ✭✭
    I saw one in my garden yesterday.  I'm in the Cowal Peninsula.
  • I will be in Edinburgh and Inverness in September.  Any chance for red squirrels in either area? 
  • fishyprofishypro Member ✭✭✭
    Hi @Jennie_Dallas_1853, I am not sure about Inverness but Edinburgh definately only has Grey Squirrels. At least I haven't come across any Red Squirrels there.
    Best regards
    fishypro
  • FofomaFofoma Member ✭✭✭
    @fishypro - what a wee cutie - how lucky are you? If you do the Red Squirrel walk from the car park at Old Bridge of Tilt - you might be lucky. They have a feeding station and we saw them there. I've also seen them at the Hermitage near Dunkeld, the Potting Shed coffee shop at Inshriach near Aviemore, Killiecrankie Visitor Centre, Landmark at Carrbridge and Inchree Falls near Onich. I defy anyone not to have their day brightened by the sight of one of these bonnie wee beasties!
    Hey @Fofoma, Thanks for the information. I will be able to pass that on.
    Best regards
    fishypro
    Hi @Scathach, I love Cluny House Gardens. My Garden is very similar to Cluny House only on a smaller scale. Still full of Red Squirrels though.
    Best regards
    fishypro
  • Thanks, fishypro. That little cutie in your photo inspired me.
  • Fofoma: I have a bird watching trip planned near Aviemore. I will be sure to stop by the Potting Shed for red squirrels and a cuppa. Thank you for the tip.
  • VisitScotlandAlisonVisitScotlandAlison Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    I haven't seen one this year yet but always catch a glimpse when walking around the grounds of Blair Castle and up the River Tilt. 
  • Samantha_GrantSamantha_Grant VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
    Killin is my never fail spot.  If I don't see one there something's clearly wrong.  Love watching them nipping around. 
    I'm a Scottish travel blogger and freelance writer with an extensive knowledge of travelling in Scotland.  I'm always on the road exploring my wonderful country.  I love remote places, history and the great outdoors. 

• FraserMFraserM Member ✭✭
    The Lodge at Aberfoyle is a great place to watch red squirrels getting up to mischief!
    Och I'll join in with a wee photo too.  Here's one in Killin snapped from my hotel room window. 

I was staying on a farm near Coldingham recently and was surprised to see warning red squirrel signs up by the roadside. I didn't expect to find them along the Berwickshire coast for some reason. 

I'm a Scottish travel blogger and freelance writer with an extensive knowledge of travelling in Scotland.  I'm always on the road exploring my wonderful country.  I love remote places, history and the great outdoors. 

@fishypro My garden is frequently visited by grey squirrels but close to my house we have white albino squirrels too.  They're gorgeous.  A pair have mated so there's a growing number appearing.  It's not uncommon to find wildlife photographers lurking in the bushes now.  :)

@Samantha_Gran, your new challenge, if you wish to accept, is to post a photo of an albino squirrel.
    That should keep you busy for a while.
    Best regards
    fishypro
    Here is another red squirrel spotted in Pitlochry.

Best regards
    fishypro
  • VisitScotlandJulieVisitScotlandJulie Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Thanks to @SimplyEmma,  I've just discovered that Devilla Forest near Kincardine in Fife has a Red Squirrel Trail.

http://www.simplyemma.co.uk/an-accessible-trail-through-devilla-forest/

• FofomaFofoma Member ✭✭✭
    @Jennie_Dallas_1853 Don't forget to have a cake when you are at the Potting Shed ...they are soooo good!
    @fishypro I see them fairly frequently but never been fast enough to snap one. I'll need to skulk about in bushes near some retirement flats. I'll either share a photo of an albino squirrel or one from the inside of a police cell at St Leonard's when I'm picked up for suspicious lurking.  

• WeeMarieWeeMarie Member
     yeah David Marshall Lodge, Aberfoyle is a great place to watch Red Squirrels also the Scottish Deer Centre, Fife.
  • sfry748sfry748 Member
    Caught this little chap at Balmoral Castle
  • sfry748sfry748 Member

A cheeky Red Squirrel at Torrdarach House garden. This was taken at Breakfast time by a guest.
    Best regards
    fishypro
    This Red Squirrel in our garden is a regular visitor.
    Best regards
    fishypro
  • FullStopNextChapterFullStopNextChapter VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭
    Scone Palace near Perth have some red squirrels. 

There are also some at the RSPB reserve at Loch Leven (Vane Farm)

Join in my new chapter over on the blog. Discovering all things that make Scotland the place everyone wants to visit. 

Website
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
    YouTube
    Another squirrel shot from the garden.
    Best regards
    fishypro
    @FullStopNextChapter, I was at Scone last week and saw lots of Grey Squirrels but unfortunately I didn't get to see one of the red Squirrels that you have mentioned.
    Best regards
    fishypro
  • Caranderson1Caranderson1 Member ✭✭
    Love the squirrels!  This cheeky chappie was at our kitchen window! 

Another little Red Squirrel in the garden. I could watch them all day!
    Best regards
    fishypro
    I stayed at a wonderful B&B in Grantown-on-Spey a couple of weeks ago called Edencoille - I ate my breakfast watching a pair of red squirrels eating theirs a few feet away outside.  Wonderful to watch.  I spot them quite frequently in that neck of the woods. 

• JeremyJeremy Member ✭✭
    I'm going to need to set up one of those feeding stands near where I stay! Need some more squirrels in my life