Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Road trip from Edinburgh to Skye

VisitScotlandEstherVisitScotlandEsther Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
edited March 2017 in Touring and Road Trips
Hi folks,

I haven't posted for a while, but wanted to share some photos from last weekend...

Some friends and I hired a gorgeous self-catering villa in Broadford on Skye, and took a long weekend to drive up there and back. 

The drive is spectacular - we took the M9 from Edinburgh, passing the Kelpies and Stirling castle along the way, then skirted the top of the Loch Lomond and the Trossachs national park.

As you head further north, the mountains just keep getting bigger, until you pass through Glencoe. This photo is of the Three Sisters, taken from the side of the road.

We stopped for lunch at a lovely inn, about two miles down the road, then on to Fort William (where Ben Nevis was looming in the background, shrouded in mist and generally looking enormous) and across towards the Skye bridge.

Just before the crossing, you pass Eilean Donan castle, which featured in the film "Highlander". Met a friendly seal :)

Over the next couple of days we drove around the north of Skye, taking in as many of the sights as possible. We climbed the Old Man of Storr, which was all the more epic for being shrouded in mist and snow (person in pink is me!)...

Then the Quiraing, which was a gentler climb, and in much brighter weather.

And the Faerie glen...

With a quick stop to marvel at the beach near the Lealt Falls.

We also passed through Portree, with its lovely multicoloured pastel houses along the harbour, and Uig, where we had a quick pint in a pub on the pier.

The next day we headed to a gorgeous coral beach at Claigan, and Dunvegan castle.

We also tried to visit the Talisker distillery, and while it was very picturesque, we hadn't realised that it was only open Monday-Friday, so headed round the corner for fresh seafood at the Oyster Shed instead.

We took a slightly different route home - the ferry from Armadale to Mallaig. Even that was stunning - huge swells left a couple of our friends feeling  little iffy, but I loved it, with snow-capped mountains on the mainland and white horses on the waves.

Our detour allowed us to pass through Glenfinnan, where we stopped to appreciate the viaduct...

And finished off with another stop at Kingshouse in Glencoe, where we got friendly with some of the locals

I've been sitting at my desk all week dreaming of being back in the car. I'm doing a tour of Islay and Jura in May, so at least I don't have too long to wait to be on an island again!

Comments

• VisitScotlandJulieVisitScotlandJulie Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Hi @VisitScotlandEsther

Love the pics. That's always a great road trip. You've packed a lot into the trip. Did you have to plan much in advance or did you just go with the flow?

• Samantha_GrantSamantha_Grant VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
    @VisitScotlandEsther loving the moody Old Man of Storr shots.  Unbelievably I went to Skye a few weeks back in search of sunshine during a rainy weekend break in Glen Affric.  Even more unbelievable - I found it.  :D

I'm a Scottish travel blogger and freelance writer with an extensive knowledge of travelling in Scotland.  I'm always on the road exploring my wonderful country.  I love remote places, history and the great outdoors. 

• edited March 2017
    I'd like to do a similar trip (probably leaving from Glasgow), visiting from Canada in May, 2017. solo. I won't be driving and wondered if it could be done by train/ public transport.  If so, how much time/ days should I plan for.  Or is it better to find an organized tour? (Not my preferred choice.) Perhaps there is another post someone could refer me to, or a link?  Thanks.
  • VisitScotlandEstherVisitScotlandEsther Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Hi @VisitScotlandJulie,

We had a wee wish-list of things we wanted to see... I always think that planning the holiday is half the fun!

@labyrinthmr you might like our suggestion for a trip to Skye and Fort William by public transport, or if you prefer to go with a guide, it can be a great way to make instant friends... Here's a list of tours starting in Glasgow. Skye is gorgeous, so I'm sure you'll have an amazing time whichever you pick!