Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Advice on North Coast 500 please.

My wife and I, from Australia, will be driving the North Coast 500, beginning 20 May from Inverness, returning 29 May. We are traveling anti-clockwise, and have booked accommodation including Orkney. We are keen to hear from anyone about must-sees, distilleries, breweries, good food and pubs etc

Best Answers

• HorizonsHorizons Member, VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    I'd start at the NC500 website for details & recommendations. I can personally recommend a couple of things, on Orkney visit the Swannay brewery store to pick up some of Scotlands top beer. Scapa distillery is also an offbeat choice to consider (vs Highland Park). Orkney mainland. is chock-full of things to see including Skara Brae, Meashowe, Italian chapel, Old man of Hoy etc. I also recommend taking a walk inside the Beinn Eighe reserve near Torridon. Hope you have a great trip.
    I'm Anirudh, an Indian travel blogger who has explored a lot of Scotland by public transport. My blog. Find me on Facebook | Instagram

Best of Scotland in 1 week itinerary (fully by public transport)

My Scotland travels (includes EdinburghSkye, HarrisMullArranOrkneyLoch Lomond, Islay, Oban, DunoonSpeyside)

• YourScotlandTourYourScotlandTour Member ✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    Glenmorangie, glen ord and several more are on the nc500 route (or nearby)
    Bespoke tours.
    Whisky, Castles and Food a speciality.
    yourscotlandtour.co.uk
  • NeilMcLeishNeilMcLeish Member
    Accepted Answer
    Thanks. Already I have several recommendations that I was not aware of and will definitely investigate.
  • NeilMcLeishNeilMcLeish Member
    Accepted Answer
    Wow! Thanks for all your efforts to help. Really appreciated.

Answers

• FoxyFoxy Member
    The official NC 500 website is now charging a membership fee for access to their itineraries! ranging from £15.00 all the way to £245.00

Nothing like a bit of exploitation.
  • HorizonsHorizons Member, VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
    @Foxy ; :D As long as there are travel bloggers, aware travellers will not cough up something as easily accessible as online itineraries. This is nothing short of exploitation for sure, quite sad to see actually. i hope VisitScotland does not go down that path and frankly do something to rectify the situation.

Linking the VisitScotland NC500 page here for interested parties : https://www.visitscotland.com/see-do/tours/driving-road-trips/north-coast-500/
    I'm Anirudh, an Indian travel blogger who has explored a lot of Scotland by public transport. My blog. Find me on Facebook | Instagram

Best of Scotland in 1 week itinerary (fully by public transport)

My Scotland travels (includes EdinburghSkye, HarrisMullArranOrkneyLoch Lomond, Islay, Oban, DunoonSpeyside)

• Fork_and_FootFork_and_Foot Member ✭✭
    G'day Neil! Another Aussie here :)

We drove the NC500 anti-clockwise in January this year and kept an online diary as we went. We prefer to travel slow, and stayed for at least a couple of nights each at Thurso, Durness, Achiltibuie and Lochcarron, with a side trip over to the Isle of Skye just for good measure!

Whaligoe Steps, Duncansby Stacks, Balnakeil Beach at Durness, Smoo Cave...there's so many awesome little gems! For all the details and some great photos, drop by our first diary entry and enjoy the ride :)

Day 0 - Glasgow to Inverness
    Day 1 - Inverness to Thurso

Cheers!
    Andrew.