Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Orkney and Isle of Skye in 3 days?

My friends want to do both Orkney and Isle of Skye and we are very limited by time. (Once in a lifetime so they want to do everything!). Is it possible to do both? Thoughts? 

Comments

• HorizonsHorizons Member, VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
    The answer is barely yes (with many conditions) and also depends on the definition of 3 days as well as how you plan to see the islands. If you're driving, it is simply too much driving for one person to do IMO (may need 2 or more drivers in rotation). It'll be much better if you spend the 3 days in either of these places to throughly explore & enjoy.

I've done it in "3 days" in the following manner using public transport & day trips. You must be in Inverness before Day 1 and can potentially be back in Inverness by Day 3. If driving, find the itineraries of the tours and follow them.

Day 1 will be spent on the Orkney bus day trip from Inverness (leaves at 7:15 am, June 1 - Aug 31 only).

Day 2 will be spent travelling to Skye, this is the more "relaxing" day. Take the 1st train out to Kyle of Lochalsh & reach Kyle by 11:15 AM. Take a short taxi ride to Eilean Donan castle (alternatively you can take the 1st bus straight to the castle but the train journey is very scenic). You can then take the 3:30 PM bus to Portree / Skye accommodation of choice and walk around.

Day 3 will be spent doing a Skye day trip. I personally have used Skye Scenic tours more than once and can wholeheartedly recommend them. Sligachan used to be the last stop on the tour and if that is the case, you should be able to catch the 5:53 PM bus back to Inverness to reach by 8:46 PM.

Again, the tours are not as flexible as seeing things yourself, however watching the incredible scenery from the window and not having to drive is quite enjoyable. Plus the roads in Skye & some parts leading to Orkney aren't very well suited to someone who has not driven before in rural Scotland (single track, steep grade, etc). Hope you do have a trip of a lifetime, let me know if you have any questions.
    I'm Anirudh, an Indian travel blogger who has explored a lot of Scotland by public transport. My blog. Find me on Facebook | Instagram

Best of Scotland in 1 week itinerary (fully by public transport)

My Scotland travels (includes EdinburghSkye, HarrisMullArranOrkneyLoch Lomond, Islay, Oban, DunoonSpeyside)

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    [Deleted Content]