Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Are there occasions to wear my kilt on a vacation to Scotland in April?

Traveling from USA in April for week and half. Family heritage is Scottish. Clan Cooper. I have full kilt made from Heritage of Scotland in Edinburgh. If I bring my kilt are there festivities or occasions that would merit wearing it? We are spending time in Cupar, the ancestral home of Clan Cooper. Want to know what other Clansman would attend in April 2017 to merit the kilt?

Answers

• MDWMDW Member
    I'm not aware of any occasions in April where a Kilt would be particularly appropriate, however, if you are willing to don the traditional dress at a normally chilly time of year I certainly can't see any problem.

You're more likely to be admired for your endeavour than to receive any adverse reaction!
  • VisitScotlandMurielVisitScotlandMuriel Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    You would normally wear a full kilt outfit to a private occasion like a wedding or a black tie do as it is considered quite dressy. You can very well dress it down by wearing a kilt with a jumper rather than the shirt, tie and jacket and more casual shoes. Not many people do it but it would certainly be all right. If you would like to wear your kilt in Scotland, you are perfectly entitled to do so. People might be curious to find out about your clan and tartan so could be an ice breaker!! :)
  • fergusonaianfergusonaian Member
    Wear it with pride whenever to want.
  • ParsmanParsman Member ✭✭
    Agree with fergusonaian, no need for a special occasion, just wear the kilt as and when you like. And even if the weather seems a bit chilly the kilt is a lovely warm garment, you should be fine in April in Fife.
  • themerrydancerthemerrydancer Member ✭✭
    If you want to wear your kilt while you're in Scotland, there is no need for it to be a special occasion. Feel free to wear it whenever you like!
  • FofomaFofoma Member ✭✭✭
    My son in law wears his kilt (Black Watch tartan) with a Scotland football(soccer) top, long socks usually rolled down to his ankles  and a pair of walking boots so you can see anything goes! 
  • KatKat Member ✭✭
    Yes. doesn't have to be a special occasion. Wear it with a jumper and enjoy.
  • FullStopNextChapterFullStopNextChapter VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭
    I have lived here for little over 18 months now and realise that, as mentioned above, there needs to be little or no reason for wearing your kilt. It always makes me smile.

So, go ahead, make someones day. 
    Join in my new chapter over on the blog. Discovering all things that make Scotland the place everyone wants to visit. 

Website
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
    YouTube
  • Samantha_GrantSamantha_Grant VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 14
    @CooperUSA It's your heritage so wear it with pride.  Why not look for a ceilidh when you're here so you can enjoy a night of traditional Scottish dancing in your kilt?  You could also go out for a nice Scottish dinner and get all dressed up.  I also love the casual kilt look @Fofoma mentioned.  A kilt with a smart jumper or casual shirt, socks and hiking boots is a really nice look. 
    I'm a Scottish travel blogger and freelance writer with an extensive knowledge of travelling in Scotland.  I'm always on the road exploring my wonderful country.  I love remote places, history and the great outdoors.