Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Non golfer in Prestwick

Hi all - will be visiting Scotland early June for a golf and whisky self tour celebrating my husband's 70th birthday. Since he will be enjoying the golf in the Prestwick area and I am not a golfer does anyone have suggestions to keep me happy for 5 days. We are staying in Prestwick and will have a car. Thanks

Comments

• VisitScotlandMurielVisitScotlandMuriel Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Hi @applause
    Please find the link to Prestwick from VisitScotland website. You will find at the bottom of the page activities, attractions and events nearby. You could visit Ayr just south of Prestwick and Alloway if you would like to find out more about the National Bard Rabbie Burns . Have a lovely holiday in the South West of Scotland!
  • HorizonsHorizons VisitScotland Contributor ✭✭✭
    Hey @applause

If you're up for some driving, I'd highly recommend taking the ferry to Arran or a drive through Galloway Forest Park as daytrips. Arran in particular looks so different from the whole Ayrshire area that it'll be a refreshing change of scenery (if you need it). It has 2 castles (Brodick, Lochranza), distillery & standing stones meaning you'll have a lot to do for the day plus some outstanding walks.
    We're a globetrotting travel blogger couple. Find us on Facebook | Instagram

Best of Scotland in 1 Week

See Scotland with us (incl: SkyeMullArranOrkneyLoch Lomond, Islay, Oban)
  • applauseapplause Member
    Thank you for the great ideas - I am very excited about this trip
  • themerrydancerthemerrydancer Member ✭✭
    I agree with the above that a day trip to Arran should be considered. It would be worth your while taking your vehicle if you were wanting to explore the whole island, as this would help you make the most of your time. Visit the distillery, take a walk up Glen Sannox, visit the Kings Caves etc. It really holds true to the description of "Scotland in Miniature".

In South Ayrshire, as mentioned above, the Robert Burns Birthplace Museum and Burns Cottage is always worth a visit. You can also explore the Auld Kirk and Brig o Doon while you're there. It's only a few miles south of Prestwick so isn't too far out of your way. You could take the coastal road south and pay a visit to Culzean Castle. It's a beautiful property and you can explore these on your own or take one of the guided tours available at that time of year. On the way to Culzean, you'll drive along the Electric Brae at Croy. It's always fun parking up in the layby, taking the handbrake off and you'll think you're rolling uphill due to an unusual illusion.

In Kilmarnock (around 12 miles away), you have the Dick Institute which has some fantastic artefacts and history of the local area. There are also natural history and archaeological collections. It's been a while since I've been at the Dick so I'm not sure if there are any special events or exhibitions on at the moment.

If you wished, it's easy enough to take a day trip to Glasgow as well. The train stops at Prestwick (and so does the X77 Glasgow bus) and you could do a bit of shopping, visit museums such as the Kelvingrove, or even the Gallery of Modern Art or maybe visit the theatre one evening. 

I hope you have a really enjoyable visit to the area!