Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Edinburgh’s top tourist attractions

There are few cities that can match Scotland’s capital for great tourist attractions.

Where else can you visit pandas in a zoo, peer over medieval castle walls, wander underground at the ‘haunted’ Mary King’s Close and then watch the sun slowly set from your spot on the beach?

Or wander around a royal yacht, visit a palace and check out some crown jewels?

There are few cities that can match Scotland’s capital for great tourist attractions, from frights at the Edinburgh Dungeon, to world beating museums or fun at the Fringe.

That’s just a few of Edinburgh’s tourist attractions. 

What are your favourites? 

Comments

• travelswithakilttravelswithakilt VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭
    For the best views get yourself up Arthur's Seat, Calton Hill and the Scott Monument!
    Scotland travel blogger and writer with a wee bit of photography and video thrown in. Love nothing more than exploring my home country and have a particular leaning towards the outdoors, history and our national drink.

You can also find me on Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, Facebook and Tumblr.
  • VisitScotlandIntroVisitScotlandIntro Administrator
    Don't forget Blackford Hill - it has an amazing view of the city centre (and the Pentlands facing the other way) from a perspective that not many visitors see. 
  • VisitScotlandMurielVisitScotlandMuriel Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Amazing views down the Royal Mile from the rooftop terrace of Camera Obscura! There is a fee to get in (around £15 for an adult) but it's a top attraction with optical illusion displays, a vortex and the Camera Obscura at the top is quite unique. It's like being inside a giant camera! It's great fun for kids and adults alike...
  • travelswithakilttravelswithakilt VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭
    I've been blogging about my top things to do with a few days in the city centre this week. Lots of the usual tourism suspects with a few lesser known too - could you ever be bored in Edinburgh?

Scotland travel blogger and writer with a wee bit of photography and video thrown in. Love nothing more than exploring my home country and have a particular leaning towards the outdoors, history and our national drink.

You can also find me on Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, Facebook and Tumblr.
  • johnmurrayjnrjohnmurrayjnr Member ✭✭✭

For me, my favourite attraction in Edinburgh is actually The Scottish Parliament. All tours are free and it's extremely fascinating.

http://www.parliament.scot/visitandlearn/24228.aspx  

• VisitScotlandAmandaVisitScotlandAmanda Member, Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    I'm from New Zealand originally so have had quite a few friends come to visit me here and I have to say I'm perfecting the art of playing tour guide in Edinburgh! The top things that go down well with my guests tend to be:

Arthur's Seat + the Crags
    The Edinburgh dungeon
    Scot Monument
    Walking from the Queen's Palace up the Royal Mile to the Castle
    Victoria Street + the Grassmarket
    Kiwi gal, relocated to Scotland. 
    Instagram
  • Franky_RoRoFranky_RoRo Member ✭✭
    The Botanical Garden's are amazing, you get a real locals feel there, a bit like Central Park in New York. Also in autumn they do a spectacular light show called 'Botanic Light Night's, the gardens really take on a different form. Worth booking ahead!
  • Samantha_GrantSamantha_Grant VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
    I recently visited the Royal Yacht Britannia and was surprised by how much I enjoyed it.  It was a fascinating visit and not what I was expecting at all. 

It's well worth a visit.  Plus there's a lovely tea room on board with great service and fab scones. 
    I'm a Scottish travel blogger and freelance writer with an extensive knowledge of travelling in Scotland.  I'm always on the road exploring my wonderful country.  I love remote places, history and the great outdoors. 

• MogMJMRMogMJMR Member ✭✭
    If visiting at this time of year, I really enjoyed the big wheel in the Christmas Market in Princes St Gardens - the wheel has a commentary by Edinburgh Bus tours which tells you what to look for when you reach the top and also a little on the history (festive themed of course!) of the city.

My favourite attractions in the city are the Botanic Gardens (free!) The Portrait Gallery (amazing building complete with Royal History of Scotland timeline) and the National Museum of Scotland (especially for modern history) but there is so much to choose from...
    Mogmjmr
    Based in the Scottish Borders, Aberdeenshire has a special place in my heart.
  • munroekomunroeko Member ✭✭
    edited May 25
    Don't forget Calton Hill either!  (edit: oops, someone did already say that).