Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today.

Castles

Hello, my partner and step son will be taking a trip to Scotland next week for a week, my step son is covering castles at school and i'm putting together a A4 folder of tasks we can do, i'd like to know which castles are on our journey, we will be staying near Tay Forest and visiting Inverness Lock Ness. The second part of the trip we will be staying near the Galloway Forest we are hoping to visit Lock Lomond.
In a nut shell i'd like to know which castles we should visit in these areas and prices?

Comments

• fishyprofishypro Member ✭✭✭
    Hi @Traveluk, close by to Tay Forest is Blair Castle in the small village of Blair Atholl. This castle still has its own private army "Atholl Highlanders". One of the most haunted castles is Menzies Castle by Aberfeldy. Taymouth castle, in Kenmore, is a very impressive castle that has been converted into private accommodation. Close to Aberfeldy is Garth Castle, full of history and the place where "The Wolf of Badenoch" died and later was placed in Dunkeld Cathedral.
    That should give you a good start but I am sure that other fellow community friends will have other suggestions.
    Best regards
    fishypro
  • VisitScotlandSarahWVisitScotlandSarahW Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Hi @Traveluk. I would highly recommend Caerlaverock Castle near Dumfries. Close to the Castle is Caerlaverock Wildfowl and Wetland Centre, which is a wonderful spot for wildlife watching, should that take your fancy! 

Dumbarton Castle, a short drive from Loch Lomond, which be another good option for you. I hope this helps and have wonderful trip!  :)
  • VisitScotlandLyndsayVisitScotlandLyndsay Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Hi @Traveluk. If you are travelling to Loch Ness then you should visit Urquhart Castle which is situated on the West Side of the Loch. It is open all year round and has a fantastic exhibition area where you can watch a short film explaining all about the history of the Castle and of Loch Ness. 
  • VisitScotlandMurielVisitScotlandMuriel Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Hi @Traveluk
    You could also visit Culzean Castle which is part of National Trust for Scotland and quite a popular one to visit. It is not far at all from Galloway Forest Park.
  • VisitScotlandAngelaVisitScotlandAngela Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Hi @Traveluk !

If you are planning to visit lots of different castles, it may be worthwhile looking into getting either an Historic Environment Scotland Explorer Pass or a National Trust For Scotland Discover Ticket.  These are often better value for money and can be purchased at the first property you visit, or from many of our VisitScotland iCentres. :)

Also, whilst in the Loch Lomond area you could have a look at Balloch Castle Country Park. Although the castle is not open for visitors at the moment, there's a great network of paths with lots to explore including a secret garden, fairy glen, as some fantastic play areas for children.  You can pick up a free guide to the Country Park from Balloch iCentre which has some information about the history of the castle.   :)

• FofomaFofoma Member ✭✭✭
    @Traveluk Not strictly speaking a castle but your step-son might enjoy visiting Ruthven Barracks which was built after the Jacobite Rebellion of 1715 to try and make the Highlanders behave themselves! It's at Kingussie which you should pass on your journey to Inverness. There is no change for entry and I'm sure your step-son would live to explore it.
    Fort George near Inverness would also be worth a visit. 
    @fishypro Apparently, the Wolf of Badenoch is one of my ancestors - definitely the black sheep of the family! LOL