Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Kilts and accessories

Hi all,

I would like to start to putting together a full traditional highland attire (kilt Sgian Dubh, Sporran etc.) how does one get started? I'm little nervous to find myself in a tourist trap spending way more than I need to with a sales person.

How much should I spend?
Where should I go?

Thanks!

Comments

• Samantha_GrantSamantha_Grant VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 15
    @Jemy. A full new outfit can run into hundreds of pounds as kilt-making is a real craft and they're made from good, heavy wool.  You could check out kilt hire shops as they often sell off ex-hire outfits.  Scotland's cities all have kilt-hire shops and there are lots of reputable names who solely deal in Highland dress. You could nab yourself a real bargain that way too.  They also sell new kilts if you don't want to consider an ex-hire outfit.  A kilt from a tourist shop won't be heavy enough, and the pleats won't lie right so you're right to avoid a cheaply made one. 

Remember to share a photo of your new outfit.   :)

I'm a Scottish travel blogger and freelance writer with an extensive knowledge of travelling in Scotland.  I'm always on the road exploring my wonderful country.  I love remote places, history and the great outdoors. 

• JemyJemy Member ✭✭
    Thanks Samantha this is a real help. I will need to look into ex-hire! :)
  • KiltieKiltie Member
    Hi Jemy. Samantha is correct and I have currently 6 kilts 3 of which I bought from McGregor and Mcduff who have an ex hire shop in Glasgow and are extremely helpful. Hope you are lucky and get what you want ok.