Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

The magic of Shetland - Islands at the Edge

ellisoconnorellisoconnor VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭
What is your favourite Scottish Island? I get asked frequently. 

It's a very difficult question as each Island is incredibly unique and varied with it's own geological, historic and natural wonders. 

However, on reflection I came to the conclusion that one of my all time favourites had to be Shetland. The reason?
The drama of it, a chain of remarkable Islands that are shaped by the sea and are home to some of the most fascinating geology and landscapes I’ve ever came across. Almost everywhere you go you can view the edge of the world.

I've decided to use this post as more of a visual diary to show some of these natural wonders and incredible atmospheric landscapes so prominent in the North. I'm also using this post to say get up to Shetland and see it for yourself, it's an Island not many people venture to because of the distance but with travel to these Islands so accessible and reasonable, it's completely worth it!

What's your favourite Scottish Islands? I'm obsessed with them!

Here's some of my favourite photographs taken when I there on my most recent trip! And to keep up to date with my travels on a day to day basis around Scotland, here are a few links to my sites. :) 

Ellis O'Connor

Scotland

Visual Artist, Photographer & Blogger

Visit Scotland Ambassador 

www.ellisoconnor.com

www.ellisoconnor.wordpress.com 

https://www.instagram.com/ellisoconnor/

https://twitter.com/ellisoconnor1

Comments

• VisitScotlandMurielVisitScotlandMuriel Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Hi @ellisoconnor
    Thanks for your wonderful pictures of Shetland. I have never been there myself but it looks great! Hopefully one day... I saw a documentary on Fair Isle, another island on the edge - even more remote than Shetland and constantly battling the elements!
    Image result
  • JessMacJessMac Member ✭✭
    I would have to say the Isle of Lewis... but I may be a little bias since I'm from there  ;) There truly is so much to see though and a very unique way  of life to experience. 

The weather plays a huge part in island life and everything does look good on a good day!  B) But if you are there on a wild one, that really is something to behold too!! 

Carloway Broch

Traigh Mhor, Tolsta

Blackhouse, Arnol 

Welcome to Uig  :D

Calanais Standing Stones (with one extra) 

Whale Bone Arch, Bragar (yes it really is in someones back garden)

Bosta Beach, Bernera