Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Airbnb locations in Edinburgh

Hello - I am planning a trip in August and was wondering what location would be ideal to be able to get a feel for the city?

Comments

• HorizonsHorizons VisitScotland Contributor ✭✭✭
    Hey @RobinT as August is the busy Fringe season, most accommodation is rented out at inflated prices compared to the rest of the year. So a couple of factors will determine the ideal location. Most shows are in the Old Town area so if you'd like to be in the thick of all the action then that is where you need to book (ex: Grassmarket, University, etc). The accommodation quality can be variable as most buildings in the area were built before 1700.

If you're ok with being within a 30 minute walk of Old Town then consider areas like West End, Lothian Road, Haymarket, New Town & Calton Hill. Edinburgh's excellent bus service will take you to the city centre in 15 minutes from here.

Finally, if you want a great local vibe slightly far from the Fringe madness, Bruntsfield, Morningside & Stockbridge are my favourite areas of the city. Again, they're really well connected by bus and the accommodation should be of a higher standard.
    We're a globetrotting travel blogger couple. Find us on Facebook | Instagram

Best of Scotland in 1 Week

See Scotland with us (incl: SkyeMullArranOrkneyLoch Lomond, Islay, Oban)
  • VisitScotlandMurielVisitScotlandMuriel Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    @RobinT
    I agree with the above. I would just add that Leith is a vibrant area of the city - the shore is very picturesque and boasts a variety of pubs and restaurants - it is well connected to the centre and prices should be cheaper.