Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Union Canal Boat

My family and I are coming in May and we are renting a long boat from Falkirk to Edinburgh and back.  I would like to know some thoughts about where to safely moor for the night - and where we can walk to dinner, distilleries, sights, etc.

Comments

• VisitScotlandMurielVisitScotlandMuriel Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    I should think that the company you are renting the boat from will be able to provide information about where you can moor for the night. I have seen barges moored in Fountainbridge where the canal stops but I don't know if you need special permission for that. From there you are very close to the centre of Edinburgh for the sights, restaurants and nightlife in general (Grassmarket, Royal Mile, West End). There isn't a whisky distillery in Edinburgh but you will find the Scotch Whisky Experience very interesting. However you can take a tour around Edinburgh Gin Distillery!! Have a great time  :)