Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today.

Loch Lomond

What would be a central place to stay for exploring the Loch Lomond area?

Answers

• HorizonsHorizons Member, VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
    Just the physical Loch Lomond is pretty massive. Most of the hiking is on the east side and I like Rowardennan as a base for that side of the loch. The west side has more towns and I like Luss as a base for South Loch Lomond. Tarbet is well located on the west as well. Both have summertime ferries to Rowardennan to be able to hike Ben Lomond. Hope this helps.
    I'm Anirudh, an Indian travel blogger who has explored a lot of Scotland by public transport. My blog. Find me on Facebook | Instagram

Best of Scotland in 1 week itinerary (fully by public transport)

My Scotland travels (includes EdinburghSkye, HarrisMullArranOrkneyLoch Lomond, Islay, Oban, DunoonSpeyside)

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    [Deleted Content]
  • VisitScotlandLyndsayVisitScotlandLyndsay Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Hi @juneo. May I suggest Balloch as a good base for exploring Loch Lomond? Balloch is the largest town within the Loch Lomond and The Trossachs National Park and is located at the very southern edge of the loch. There are many attractions to be found in the town to include Balloch Castle Country Park, which has amazing grounds to walk around offering fantastic views of Loch Lomond. During the summer months there are regular boat cruises that depart from Balloch sailing up the river and out onto the loch. You can also hire bikes, segways boats etc from the local outdoor company. Balloch also has a variety of B&B's, Guesthouses and Hotels making it easier to find somewhere to stay, and also a variety of eating out places to suit all tastes.

Loch Lomond is a beautiful area to visit, and I'm sure you will have an amazing time when you come to visit!