Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Street Performances in Glasgow

Hi, 

I am a student in Durham and I'm coming to Glasgow to carry out research on street performances at the end of March. I'm hoping to look at the ways that street performances can be political, for example the ways people may use their performances to convey political messages. I'm wondering if there is an area in Glasgow where people often go to carry out performances and if there are areas similar to the Speakers Corner in London? Or if not, just any areas of the city where there are a lot of performers I could observe and get in touch with. Similarly, are any performers particularly famous so that I could reach out to them to find out their motivations for performing.

Thank you in advance for any help! 

Comments

• VisitScotlandLyndsayVisitScotlandLyndsay Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Hi @AmieR23. The most popular area for street performances in Glasgow is on Buchanan Street. Buchanan Street is in the heart of the city and is a well know street for shopping and eating out places, therefore always busy. Many of the street performers that I see here are the human statues! I know you find these all over the world, but still very quirky to watch  :D There are also balloon artists, puppeteers and singers performing a variety of songs. I once witnessed a young musician belting out hard rock music for at least an hour, I did have some sympathy for the staff working in the shop he was standing directly outside of! I'm afraid I don't know of any particular famous street performer in Glasgow but perhaps some of our fellow community members may know of one? Good luck with your research, its certainly an interesting topic!