Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today.

Trip in April - suggestions for activities

Hi all, I'm travelling to Scotland in early April with my husband (we're from Australia).  We've booked in all of our accommodation, but we're looking for suggestions of things to do that are more off the tourist radar (awesome things to do that not many tourists know about).  Neither of us drink (I know, I know), so anything revolving around drinking is out.  But really open to any and all other suggestions!  Also, awesome places to eat, as we love good quality food.

We will be visiting:
Edinburgh (2.5 days once we arrive)
Inverness (1.5 days)
Skye (2.5 days)
Fort William (1 day)

And will be driving between these locations and looking at plenty of stuff on the way!

Thanks in advance for any suggestions :smile:

Comments

• HorizonsHorizons Member, VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    @nomiree I can definitely tell you my food favourites on your route. As for attractions, your route is the most popular tourist route so there really aren't many offbeat places to suggest (as opposed to driving somewhere remote). So my recommendations will probably be on the driving route.

Edinburgh
    Food: Eat steak at Kyloe, pizza at La Favorita (this is quite close to pizza you'd get in Italy), ice cream at St Lucas, Morningside. Splurge meal: Lunch at the Witchery.

Attractions: Both the Royal Botanical gardens & the Royal Brittania are off the city centre but highly recommended.

Driving to Inverness: Just off the motorway after Dunkeld (pick up award-winning smoked salmon from here), visit the Hermitage falls. Also recommend a short stop at Pitlochry and a detour to see the Queens view. Final stop recommendation is at Aviemore and, if possible, the Cairngorm mountain.

Don't have any Inverness recommendations.

Driving to Skye: I personally love the beauty of the Achnasheen & Loch Carron areas (very few people). Take the detour to visit Eilean Donan castle.

Skye
    Food: The Oyster shed near Carbost for shellfish & oysters (its literally a shed but super high quality), The Shieling in Uig for salad, seafood platter at Sea breezes.

Attractions: All the things!! If you can make time to go deep into GlenBrittle or Loch Coruisk, that would be great.

Driving to Ft. William: If possible take the longer route via Mallaig with stops at Morar / Arisaig and Glenfinnan. On the way to Edinburgh, stop at Killin.
    I'm Anirudh, an Indian travel blogger who has explored a lot of Scotland by public transport. My blog. Find me on Facebook | Instagram

Best of Scotland in 1 week itinerary (fully by public transport)

My Scotland travels (includes EdinburghSkye, HarrisMullArranOrkneyLoch Lomond, Islay, Oban, DunoonSpeyside)

• fishyprofishypro Member ✭✭✭
    Hi @nomiree, I can help you out regarding restaurants.
    The best place to eat in Inverness, in my opinion, is Rocpool Restaurant. It is situated by the bridge in the heart of Inverness. Amazing food & realistic prices for the quality and quantity that you get.
    My favourite restaurant in Edinburgh is the Scran & Scallie. This is a style of Gastropub that had been introduced by Tom Kitchin (Scotlands best Chef). My advice is to eat early, before 7pm, or to eat late, after 8pm. This way you are sure of a table.
    On Skye there are lots of great places to eat including, The 3 Chimneys (an amazing restaurant that can be pricey but guarantees few tourists. You may wish to try The Skye Pie Cafe. This is situated approx. 15 miles outside of Portree. Great place to eat, but small so booking is essential.
    Fort William has a great seafood restaurant at The Crannog. Great food and great atmosphere.
    I hope this helps you decide where to go to eat during your visit to Scotland.
    Best regards
    fishypro
  • VisitScotlandNikkiVisitScotlandNikki Administrator, VisitScotland Staff
    Hi @nomiree - sounds like a great trip! If you're still deciding what route to take between Edinburgh, Inverness, Skye and Fort William, then check out our new road trips site for some tips!

We've also got a 7 day itinerary for driving up the west coast of Scotland - it doesn't match your trip entirely, but you can pick and mix attractions to suit what you fancy!
  • nomireenomiree Member ✭✭
    Thanks everyone, there's some great suggestions there!  I really appreciate it!
    Horizons - All of that information is amazing!  Thank you so much!
    fishypro - Thank you for the lovely suggestions :smile:
    Horizons - All of that information is amazing!  Thank you so much!
    fishypro - Thank you for the lovely suggestions :smile:
  • VisitScotlandSarahWVisitScotlandSarahW Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    edited March 2017
    Hi @nomiree. If you have time you could check out the Culloden Battlefield while you are in Inverness; its really fascinating especially if you are keen to learn a little Scottish history! 
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] ✭✭✭✭
    [Deleted Content]
    VisitScotlandSarahW - Culloden is definitely on the list - It was one of the first reasons Inverness was added to the itinerary!

Samantha_Grant - Thanks, those are great suggestions!  I'm definitely going to look into all of them :smile:
    As photographers, our time on Skye will mostly be seeking out awesome landscapes and trying to take some epic photographs, so Old Man of Storr will definitely be on there, despite the crowds.  Might try to time that one for either sunrise or sunset to hopefully get a few less people on the track!
  • SmidgeSmidge VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭
    On the way back from Fort William, stop in Glencoe, it is very well known, but you can get away from the crowds. I have a guide to walks you can do here - http://www.lovefromscotland.co.uk/Glen-Coe/

Don't miss out on Glencoe Lochan, it is one of my favourite places in Scotland.

Kate - Scotland / outdoor blogger at Love From Scotland
    Climbs hills, takes pictures. Likes remotes places.
    Follow me on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram

Thanks Smidge!  Glencoe is definitely on the list!  I'll check out the walks guide as well :smile:
  • PetiPeti Member
    nomiree said:
    Hi all, I'm travelling to Scotland in early April with my husband (we're from Australia).  We've booked in all of our accommodation, but we're looking for suggestions of things to do that are more off the tourist radar (awesome things to do that not many tourists know about).  Neither of us drink (I know, I know), so anything revolving around drinking is out.  But really open to any and all other suggestions!  Also, awesome places to eat, as we love good quality food.

We will be visiting:
    Edinburgh (2.5 days once we arrive)
    Inverness (1.5 days)
    Skye (2.5 days)
    Fort William (1 day)

And will be driving between these locations and looking at plenty of stuff on the way!

Thanks in advance for any suggestions :smile:
    Hi, that sounds similar to our plan as we are travelling in early April too for about 6 days. My boyfriend have been Scotland before but not me as it's my first time. So I'm glad you post your message as I'd like to know some awesome places to eat too. :)
    Peti - Have fun on your trip, I bet it's going to be amazing!  And I hope some of these suggestions help :smile:
  • YourScotlandTourYourScotlandTour Member ✭✭✭
    something a little off the beaten track but well worth the diversion to get to for lunch - www.lochlevenseafoodcafe.co.uk
    Bespoke tours.
    Whisky, Castles and Food a speciality.
    yourscotlandtour.co.uk