Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

weather in late March

What to wear??  I'm so excited to be coming to Scotland...and need to pack appropriately.  Thanks.

Comments

• fishyprofishypro Member ✭✭✭
    Hi @AnnaNana, the weather in Scotland can be very unpredictable. The good news is is that bad weather doesn't seem to hang around for long. The old saying of "if you don't like the weather in Scotland, then just wait 10 minutes" is probably as true as it gets. On a serious note your choice of clothing may vary depending on what you have planned to do in Scotland. You may find that an extra thin layer or layers is the best way to go. I always add that the Scots are not really bothered by how you look rather than how you act. In other words you don't need to bring catwalk clothing. Scotland is a very down to Earth kind of place. I hope this helps.
    Best regards
    fishypro
  • HorizonsHorizons Member, VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
    @fishypro has covered Scotland's attitude to the weather very well. I should add that a rain jacket with a hood is my weapon of choice against the weather, umbrellas are useless in the wind. Apart from that, the temperatures should be between 5-15C. I fervently hope you only get sunny weather because Spring in Scotland is the best time to visit in my opinion (so very beautiful).
    I'm Anirudh, an Indian travel blogger who has explored a lot of Scotland by public transport. My blog. Find me on Facebook | Instagram

Best of Scotland in 1 week itinerary (fully by public transport)

My Scotland travels (includes EdinburghSkye, HarrisMullArranOrkneyLoch Lomond, Islay, Oban, Speyside fest)

• VisitScotlandSarahWVisitScotlandSarahW Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Hi @AnnaNana, all great points above.

I would also bring warm jumpers/fleeces too and waterproof walking boots if you plan to do some walking; it is not uncommon (though so far this year has been less wintery) to get snow in March. Yes, this depends on where you are in Scotland, but it is always good to be prepared. Have a wonderful trip!  :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] ✭✭✭✭
    [Deleted Content]
  • FofomaFofoma Member ✭✭✭
    Hi @AnnaNana Layers is definitely the way to go. The weather can change in an instant - yesterday was one of those days here...sunny one minute and raining cats and dogs the next in fact at one point it was sunny and raining at the same time!! If you can keep your head, feet and fingers cosy that is the main thing if any of those extremities are cold then I think everywhere feels cold!!