Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Art Retreats? (inspired by Joan Eardley at NGS)

MogMJMRMogMJMR Member ✭✭
edited March 4 in Arts and Culture

Catterline in Winter (1963)

After reading up on the significant show currently on at the National Galleries of Scotland; on Painter Joan Eardley (An old favourite of mine) it has prompted me to ask for recommendations on art retreats in Scotland.

https://www.nationalgalleries.org/whatson/exhibitions/joan-eardley

The show jogged my memory - Joan has 2 main themes running through her work - inspired by Townhead, Glasgow, and, closer to my home, in Catterline, Aberdeenshire.

As a student a good decade ago I remember standing in a cottage in Catterline with connections to her, that was available for art students and artists to apply to rent (with the purpose of making art work on site)  Does anyone have any more details on this? ( I know one of the two cottages in Catterline where she was based was recently sold - but what about the other?)

Alternatively, can you recommend any art "working holidays" organised or otherwise, in Scotland?

Mogmjmr
Based in the Scottish Borders, Aberdeenshire has a special place in my heart.

Comments