Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Dumfries & Galloway: the best bits!

laretourlaretour VisitScotland Contributor ✭✭
edited March 14 in Scotland's countryside
Hi everyone,

When you're travelling in Scotland, there are several places that will be on your list for sure. I'm thinking Glen Coe, the Isle of Skye, Edinburgh etc.

And (in my humble opinion haha!) you should add Dumfries & Galloway to your list. In a permanent marker  ;)

I thought I'd share some of my favourite spots in D&G and also ask the Community for their tips. Have any of you been to this area, and if so, what are your must-sees? I'm planning to go back sometime this year so I'm keen to see different corners of the region I may have missed first time round!

Here's my blog on '5 picture perfect spots' in Dumfries & Galloway: https://laretour.com/2016/07/04/dumfries-galloway-pretty-places/

Laura :)
LARETOUR.com 
Stories from Scotland.
instagram | twitter | facebook

Comments

• HorizonsHorizons VisitScotland Contributor ✭✭✭
    Hey Laura, lovely post! The Galloway Forest Park is conspicuous in its absence. Even though I have only spent a few hours exploring it, we were left wanting for more. Also as it is a dark sky park, the view of the stars on a clear winters night is stunning!

Unfortunately my Galloway Forest Park pics are in a different laptop so I'll share them a bit later. Thanks for sharing this nugget of D&G info, I definitely want to see more of it!
    We're a globetrotting travel blogger couple. Find us on Facebook | Instagram

Best of Scotland in 1 Week

See Scotland with us (incl: SkyeMullArranOrkneyLoch Lomond, Islay, Oban)
  • Samantha_GrantSamantha_Grant VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
    D&G is far too often overlooked for Glencoe and Skye.  I love Wanlockhead - it's Scotland's highest village, fascinating and pretty as a picture yet I rarely hear anyone mention it.  We paid it a visit again recently and it was wonderfully atmospheric cloaked in mist. 

Portpatrick is another D&G favourite of mine.  I love the coastal walk to Dunskey Castle.  Its such a dramatic ruin and a lovely spot.  

I'm a Scottish travel blogger and freelance writer with an extensive knowledge of travelling in Scotland.  I'm always on the road exploring my wonderful country.  I love remote places, history and the great outdoors. 

• VisitScotlandSarahWVisitScotlandSarahW Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    edited March 5
    Hi @laretour.  Have a read at my answer to a previous post on here about top spots in Dumfries and Galloway. Also, a wee hidden gem is Bellymack Farm, near Laurieston; they have a Red Kite Feeding station. It is wonderful, you can see up to 90 or so Red Kites swooping down to be fed!  :)

• AnnieMAnnieM Member

Hi, I stayed in the Dumfries area last year.  Unfortunately, it was only for 2 days.  I plan to visit again very soon, probably May 2018.  What is the best time to visit?

I loved Sanquhar and Wanlockhead, and would like to know if travelling in southwest Scotland is easy to do by train?

• VisitScotlandHeatherVisitScotlandHeather Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Hi @AnnieM,

Dumfries & Galloway is a lovely place throughout the year, if you love nature then this website gives a good overview on what you might expect to see and when.

In terms of trains, there are two stations in Dumfries & Galloway: Dumfries and Stranraer. Scotrail has information on these. Traveline Scotland is also really handy for finding out how to get from A to B. And if you've been on visitscotland.com, you might have also seen our Trip Planner which will help you decide what you want to see and how to travel between each place  :)
  • JoolshornetJoolshornet Member ✭✭
    I travelled through Dumfries & Galloway on my motorbike last weekend, keeping mainly off the beaten track in terms of roads.  It was gorgeous and an area I've not visited often, but after last weekend that's set to change.  Loved it down there and favourite place was the Mull of Galloway (the most southerly point in Scotland I'm told) - we could see Ireland and the Isle of Man from there and the views are spectacular.  My photography skills can't do it justice!