Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Awesome Scottish Drives

LochgmarcpLochgmarcp VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭
edited February 27 in Touring and Road Trips
So choosing where you are going to spend your holiday, or weekend break, may have been the easy part! But what about the road you're going to take to get to your chosen destination? You can go direct.. or take a detour to discover some hidden gems in this stunning country! 

There are many interesting, and beautiful roads in Scotland! Some passing through areas steeped in history, or following rivers as they snake there way down mountainous glens! Some of the roads may take you through ancient forests, over barren plateaus or alongside one of the many lochs in this country, but either way.. I doubt you will be disappointed! 

There are so many roads I've driven in Scotland, and it would be impossible for me to select just one as my ultimate choice for a road trip! So what follows, are some images I have taken whilst driving some of my favourite routes! From times I've been scouting photo locations, or driving to a secluded beach for some much needed down time (even if it's cold at best) or simply just going a drive.. to take in the beautiful scenery to be viewed through my car windows.. 

Rounding the bend.. to see a mountain glowing in the setting suns warmth

Passing over the mountain plateau, not a sole in sight and the road all to yourself 

This road can take you to the Isle of Skye.. but looks beautiful when viewed from a mountain top

Sometimes, when it snows, a road often travelled can look completely different 

There are also a lot of nice little towns and villages to be found along many of the routes. Each have their own quaint characteristics and provide opportunities to rest and refuel both your car and yourself in nice little cafes! So many choices.. never enough time!

I could spend a long time telling you my thoughts, but what's your suggestions for a scenic drive? Or your favourite place to stop off whilst touring around Scotland?... 

Instagram.com/Lochgmarcp @lochgmarcp

Comments

• FraserMFraserM Member ✭✭
    That's an incredible picture of Loch Duich @Lochgmarcp.

A drive along Loch Lomondside before taking the A83 through Arrochar, up Glen Croe to the Rest and Be Thankful, then rounding Loch Fyne to Inveraray is hard to beat.

However my favourite bit of road has to be heading west on the Road to the Isles (A830) when you go underneath the Loch Nan Uamh viaduct with those amazing views. I'd add a picture but it won't let me!
  • LochgmarcpLochgmarcp VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭
    @FraserM thank you! It was taken after a 9 hour slog along the Kintail ridge with a busted knee haha, a welcome sight for my tired eyes! I'll agree with the route to Inveraray, that's my local road and is besitiful! Have yet to take that road but might be doing that this weekend! 
    @FraserM the viaduct part threw me but I have been on that road loads of times haha.. I should think before replying sometimes! It is a beautiful road, the sea loch inlet there is stunning too! 
  • YourScotlandTourYourScotlandTour Member ✭✭✭
    A939 from Deeside to the coast 1 long stretch of varying roads, conditions and so much to see and do along the way. My personal favourite bridge which always brings a childish giggle, especially when you get someone to stand in exactly the right place!! 

My favourites are generally the military roads and the B roads instead the A roads though they're not always best with passengers on board! 
    Bespoke tours.
    Whisky, Castles and Food a speciality.
    yourscotlandtour.co.uk
  • fishyprofishypro Member ✭✭✭
    My favourite Scottish Drive is between Dalwhinnie & Spean Bridge. Leave the A9 at Dalwhinnie and follow the A889 to Laggan and then join the A86 which goes past Loch Laggan (Of Glenbogle Fame) and continue till Spean Bridge. I find the views are spectacular.
    Best regards
    fishypro
    Good road that fishy :-)
    Bespoke tours.
    yourscotlandtour.co.uk
  • TinnyAlanTinnyAlan Member
    Try the road from Glendaruel to Tighnabruaich. Fantastic viewpoint, overlooking the famous "Narrows" on the East Kyle of Bute, about halfway along this wonderful road.

Another good bit of tarmac is the road to / from Campbeltown. 
    Bespoke tours.
    yourscotlandtour.co.uk
  • Samantha_GrantSamantha_Grant VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
    Great post and photos @Lochgmarcp One of my favourite drives in Scotland is the route from Tobermory to Fionnphort on the Isle of Mull.  It passes through such dramatic and diverse scenery.   There are so many wonderful wee side roads off the route too which lead to some real hidden gems. 

I also love the East Lothian coastal route which skirts the Firth of Forth.  Most people know we have amazing, unspoiled beaches in the Highlands but seem surprised that we also have them in the lowlands too.  Seacliff, Ravensheugh, Tyninghame and Gullane are all gorgeous, unspoiled and all but deserted. 

Lastly for me is the drive into Glen Affric.  It's a wee bit hair raising at times, especially around the gaping chasm that is Dog Falls but the scenery in the glen is how I think most people imagine the Highlands of Scotland to look.

I'm a Scottish travel blogger and freelance writer with an extensive knowledge of travelling in Scotland.  I'm always on the road exploring my wonderful country.  I love remote places, history and the great outdoors. 

@YourScotlandTour that is a good bit of road and close to where I stay! Lovely sea views down that way 
    @Samantha_Grant thank you! Love that drive on Mull! Always stop for a photo when I'm over to climb to the eagle nests there! I've yet to get to Glen Affric but hoping to rectify that soon! And lovely photos! 
  • Franky_RoRoFranky_RoRo Member ✭✭
    Every time we go on a Scotland adventure we find new places to love and some amazingly fun driving opportunities! 

One of my local faves is:

East Lothian, the coastal drive and any road off the A1
    It's great for lazy sunny days  <3, and there's just something magical about East Lothian in the sunshine, it just glows.

Don't think there's a specific trail to follow (someone here might be able to help with that?), but I'd encourage a detour if you end up on the A1. As long as you head towards the sea you'll be heading in the right direction to the coastal villages and attractions eg: Muirfield Golf Course, Gullane golf course, Direlton Castle, Tantallon Castle and stunning clean beaches and dune! Use the distinctive Bass Rock as a beacon if you fancy fish and chips at the seaside in North Berwick  :)

View from the side of the B1346 road towards North Berwick, the Bass Rock and Tantallon Castle 

Does anyone have any tips for the west coast of Scotland?

• VisitScotlandNikkiVisitScotlandNikki Administrator, VisitScotland Staff
    What about the Argyll Coastal Route on the west coast @Franky_RoRo? Running 129 miles from the banks of Loch Lomond to Fort William, it must be a pretty iconic drive!

Ben Nevis from the beach at Corpach
    @VisitScotlandNikki that's one of my favourites and the route I take most of the time when I head a trip! Stunning scenery all the way 
  • argyllgirlargyllgirl Member ✭✭
    @VisitScotlandNikki  I live in Argyll and I looked at the drive.  I haven't done it from start to finish in one go, but I've been on this route in its entirety.  Stunning!  I'd recommend it as well. 
  • Thought some of you might be interested in this: http://www.campervanfilms.co.uk/2017/01/18/north-coast-500-films/
    edited March 19
    Don't mention the Durness - Ullapool road - it's epic!! and the A939 is just tarmac heaven 
    Bespoke tours.
    yourscotlandtour.co.uk
  • debwill54debwill54 Member
    @Lochgmarcp Beautiful photo from above Loch Duich. Is that the road just past Eilean Donan by the little cemetery with the war memorial on the hilltop?  I was there spring 2016; beautiful drive from Skye back onto mainland!
    I spent 3.5 weeks driving Scotland (my first visit). Hard to choose a favorite drive because there was so much variety from the Borders to Stirling to the Trossachs to Glencoe to Skye to Inverness to the Cairngorms and Speyside to St Andrews and back to Edinburgh (and just about everything in between), but I was "stranded" on the A851 Sleat Peninsula, Skye one day because of an accident just outside Broadford (took almost 8 hours to clear). I drove down roads I'm not sure even had names or numbers that looped around Tarskavaig and Tokavaig, by Dunscaith Castle and back to A851.  Gorgeous scenery looking across the water to the Cuillins. I felt like I had the entire peninsula to myself. 
    Loved this little capture - I'm guessing they added the guardrail after one too many went into Loch Dhughaill at this particular "passing place"! ;-)
    Looking forward to one day being back on the roads of Scotland!
  • Mcarthur7Mcarthur7 Member ✭✭
    I love the Northern route from Ullapool to John O'Groats.
  • JemyJemy Member ✭✭
    @Jemy I haven't been on that route yet but i'm hoping to get there soon :smile:
  • These are such beautiful photos Lochgmarc! I can't believe the sudden change of weather... I have not yet had to opportunity to go on a road trip in Scotland, but I definitely will the next time I am there and see some of the sights you have described. 
    awayforaspell.com 
  • ParsmanParsman Member ✭✭
    The road form Aberdeen to Perth. As you approach Perth there are gorgeous views down the Tay River valley. The drive between Dundee and Perth is nice too with the river on one side and the hills with the old buildings on the crests a bit like the Rhine Valley in Germany, if much shorter.
    @Edinburghlover thank you :-) yeah one thing Scotland is renowned for is the sudden change of weather, but it just adds to the dramatic scenery! Hope you do manage that trip sometime soon :smile:
    @Parsman that is a very good drive, I used to do it a lot before I moved to the west coast! It will be looking very nice now at this time of year too!